Gutter Install Q's

Old 06-13-14, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gutter Install Q's

Installing 22' of aluminum Amerimax gutter along a garage, and have two Q's:

Fascia is not vertical (90 w/roof), and didn't find wedges at big box stores -found only online sellers(?). Any ideas/tricks for this problem?

How do I install around the T drip edge, and account for the 2" overhang beyond the fascia to ensure the gutter catches runoff? Paint and install 1X6's along fascia, then the gutter? Pull the aluminum fascia, add the 1X6, the reinstall aluminum? Better ideas?

Materials were @$50, plus whatever needed for the above issues. I assume seamless installers would cost at least $200, so DIY savings seem worth it but comments appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-14, 08:19 AM
Anyone?

Am I correct thinking that the 2" overhang beyond the fascia is a concern because that leaves only 2-1/2 to 3" of gutter to catch runoff?

Or is 2-1/2 to 3" of gutter enough?

Any opinions appreciated!

Thanks

Old 06-15-14, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
I personally like a deeper gutter. I like 5" "K" gutters and 3x4" down spouts. They can handle more water and debris without overflowing. I think the deeper gutter will also solve your fascia issue as well.

If you remove the aluminum fascia and redo it the aluminum will not cover your soffit anymore and open a whole new can of worms.

If you can handle the seamless gutter length, many shops around me do a "chop and drop" for $2 - $2.50 a foot.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 06-15-14 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-15-14, 03:29 PM
Tolyn, thanks for your reply-

Finding the right gutter/hanger/wedge for the 2" roof overhang does appear better than trying to build out the fascia.

Isn't 5" the std gutter size? Standard stuff I got at big box = total 5.02" wide.

From online sizing chart: a "7K" = total 6" wide and provides 5-3/8" catch width (= 3-3/8" beyond drip edge for this install) -but don't know if this is wide enough.

Is there a "rule of thumb" for how much gutter is needed beyond the drip edge to ensure all runoff collected?

Maybe I'll look around here to see if a seamless installer will chop/drop the right size for $2 to $2.50/ft.

Old 06-15-14, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
sn't 5" the std gutter size? Standard stuff I got at big box = total 5.02" wide.
Yes. You posted 3" which confused me. I misunderstood.

Is there a "rule of thumb" for how much gutter is needed beyond the drip edge to ensure all runoff collected?
I don't know of a "rule of thumb" but I would think 3 3/8" of gutter would be enough to catch the water running off the roof. However I am not a gutter pro, I am just giving my opinion. Perhaps if you do get a seamless guy out they can give you a 2nd opinion. I an just concerned about the maintenance of the wood if you have to build it out and paint it. You could use PVC trim but it is fairly pricy.

I will admit that your overhang does look a little odd, why is there such a large gap between the fascia and the drip edge?

Old 06-16-14, 06:35 AM
I will admit that your overhang does look a little odd, why is there such a large gap between the fascia and the drip edge?
I wish I knew why that gap is there! Previous owner had roof installed years ago.

Going to make some calls today, and hope a "gutter pro" (or at least semi-pro!) will respond here.

Thanks for your replies, Tolyn.