Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Removing old Tar/Asphalt from flat concrete roof (Intermats exposed)

Old 06-23-14, 11:14 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
I'm new here just registered, I want to cover the roof with Elastomeric Reflective Coating but there are Tar/Asphalt patches that years ago a shady contractor left here and there on the roof. Most are cracked and just above the living room there are the only two Intermats exposed and you can feel air pockets inside them. I know I need to remove all this to get a good bonding with the elastomeric sealant.
Anyway I'm rambling.....I have searched and searched over the internet as to the best way to remove all this.
(I just came from Home Depot where the resident "expert" told me there are no tools for that, you just have to scrape it with a SHOVEL) What he didn't know was that I already tried with a scraping attachment on my reciprocating saw as you may see in the picture and after 1-1/2 hours, the scraper broke. Tar was starting to stick to the blade...and is agonizingly slow. I did not get very far. But still better than a chisel or shovel...
Here come the questions:
Is it true that using ice helps by making it brittle?
Would an oscillating power tool scraper help? Or make it worse?
Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Also if this has been discussed in another thread sorry an please post a link here.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-14, 05:47 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Why do you want to cover the roof with that sealant? If you keep scraping & chopping, you might create problems.

Old 06-23-14, 06:51 PM
H
Then what would you recommend me? Its leaking through the tar patches...

Old 06-23-14, 07:12 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Usually, tar is used to stop leaks. I don't know why the leaks would only be where the tar is. I guess your best bet is to contact the manufacturer of the sealant & ask them what they recommend.

Old 06-24-14, 03:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
Are you sure the elastomeric won't adhere well to the tar? It should adhere as long as the roof is clean. Wouldn't be a bad idea to contact the manufacture and see what they say.

Old 06-24-14, 07:13 AM
H
Thanks for the ideas. I'm gonna check with the manufacturer.

Old 06-24-14, 09:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
more thoughts

Tar expands/contracts with temperature changes so if the tar is real thick it might be an issue although I would think a coat of elastomeric followed by an inspection a season later, recoating if needed should alleviate that concern.

Old 06-24-14, 02:17 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Everything expands & contracts, with the temperature. As I said in my previous post, tar is usually used to stop leaks. I don't see why a second product would be needed.

Old 06-24-14, 02:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know that an elastomeric roof coating will seal any better than tar does but it will be cooler and would likely not move as much as tar since it won't absorb as much heat from the sun.

I used to work for an outfit that had a division that did elastomeric roofs, Basically they rolled on the coating, laid down a mesh into the wet elastomeric and then applied 1-2 coats of elastomeric over the mesh. The shop warehouse's flat roof was done that way and it was leak free afterward for next 5 or so years I worked there. My main job was painting and I only got into that part of the business on rare occasions.

I forgot earlier welcome to the forums hard dryve!

Old 06-24-14, 02:33 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
As short as it might be, you have more experience with it than I do. I think that we are missing a piece of the story. There shouldn't be any leaks through the tar. There could be a drainage problem & the water isn't l flowing properly. I don't know.

Last edited by Pulpo; 06-24-14 at 03:32 PM.