Regrading around house questions


Old 06-28-14, 05:07 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Regrading around house questions

(Hope this is posted in the right place)
Hey guys and gals,
I need some advice on changing my grade around my house. When it rains hard water is getting into my garage and the harsh winters in Manitoba has me really worried about frost heaving. The grade is really bad and I want to change it but i have a few questions. First the affected area has quite large cement blocks for a side walk. they appear to be poured and not slabs i think. the sidewalk is starting to crack. also one is poured around gas lines that are going into the ground so i dont really want to screw with trying to jack hammer it out. so my question is could i just go over the cement with top soil and then put new cement blocks over the soil? if i can what steps should i do? should i have some kind of plastic sheets covering the cement to help aid the water away before applying the soil? i really have no idea and any suggestions will help a lot. i am considering just calling in a landscaper to do the job but my wife is just about to go one mat leave and we dont really have the money for it.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-14, 05:25 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,982
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you sure that they are cement blocks? It sounds like you are using the wrong term. How high do you plan to raise the height? In any event, I wouldn't use plastic & top soil.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: