Steel versus asphalt shingles

Old 07-01-14, 09:22 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steel versus asphalt shingles

I have to replace a worn out asphalt roof, there is just one layer of shingle plus ridge vents

Any views, experiences on using a steel roof or asphalt again?

Existing asphalt were put on circa 1995, complete tear down done.

Little experience with steel roofs, if used will a ridge vent system be used?

Can steel be installed over the existing asphalt?

Any help, comments, opinions or experiences appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-14, 10:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
Asphalt shingles are pretty well known and how much life to expect out of a certain quality shingle. I think steel is more an unknown. The steel roof on my warehouse (silver colored) is still going strong after 18+ years with no signs of rust but I see steel roofs on homes installed since then that have faded badly and one about 10-12 years old just got repainted. So, I think a lot has to do with the quality of the material especially it's anti corrosion coatings and paint. Unfortunately that is stuff that is hard to tell just by looking at the surface. If you choose steel I would personally avoid "colors" as I've seen most of them fade to some extent and some fade quite badly.

Old 07-01-14, 06:53 PM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
Steel roofing seems to be a growing trend for homes. But as PDane says its fairly new. I would want to see several homes that a contractors has already done and talk to the owners and get their opinion of the quality. Several questions that come to mind is noise, heat and cold dissipation. What type of maintenance might be needed and what is the price difference. Also what is the warranty and who backs it up? I would insist the manufacture backs up the product including the install. Roofers come and go but the manufacture will probably be around for a longer period of time. Also check with your insurance carrier and see what they say about them. When it comes to money and paying out you can't beat the statistics that the insurance company basis everything on. Will they give you a break on premiums? Is a steel roof safer than an asphalt roof? Just a few things to consider!

Old 07-02-14, 10:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Actually steel shingles aren't new. Back when I was young, I painted a lot of steel shingled roofs. Most of them were on houses built around the early 1900's. I agree that there is a big difference in quality as I see some metal roofs that hold their color well while others start to fade in a few yrs.