Ridge cap for quonset hut greenhouse


Old 07-14-14, 07:31 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 115
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ridge cap for quonset hut greenhouse

I have an old greenhouse that I am rebuilding, and I want to install a lightweight ridge cap. It is sort of a Quonset hut, but the top isn't rounded over; it's pointed at about a 110 degree angle, if that makes sense. The north side is sheathed in plywood, and the south side has old corrugated fiberglass that I will be replacing one of these years. The length of the ridge cap will be 20 feet.

What I want to do is fabricate the cap using OSB or plywood, and then cover it with aluminum that I can buy in rolls that are 10 feet long and 12 inches wide. So I am looking for ideas on how to make the break in the aluminum so that it can fit the angle of the cap, or maybe even have it wrap around edges.

Also, if anyone has any innovative ideas on how to make the body, I'm all ears.

Last edited by pporto_22; 07-14-14 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-14-14, 07:43 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,982
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't picture what it looks like but it sounds like you need someone who does aluminum siding.
Old 07-14-14, 07:55 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 26,499
Received 770 Votes on 711 Posts
Why don't you just buy a galvanized metal ridge cap and screw it on?

Construction Metals Inc. 10 ft. Galvanized Steel Ridge Cap-RC2-GM at The Home Depot

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: