Standing Seam Hail Damage

Old 07-27-14, 05:59 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Standing Seam Hail Damage

Hello,

2 summers ago I had my roof (shingles) replaced with standing seam. About a month ago we had a hail storm rip through the area and my roof (as well as car) got pretty dinged up.

Insurance guy came out and looked and said the roof is damaged. I asked the roofer to come back and look at it, and give me an estimate of what had to be done (if anything).

He said the roof had to be totally replaced (well, he is the roofer, I don't know what I was expecting) because the dents would rust within a year or two. None of them are huge dents, most of the hail was golf ball sized or smaller.

The other thing that I am scratching my head about is the quote is for 4k more than the original quote. This is very miffing to me as they don't need to strip off the old shingles (which they did originally) and I assume they can reuse the bichathane that the roof is coated with... I know he's busy now but I'm wondering if this is just a supply/demand issue of his time.

Questions:
Anyone know how hard it is to remove standing seam (would this add a bunch of expense)?
Is the underlayment going to be able to be reused?
Is there a coating of some sort that we can put over top of the roof to keep it from rusting?
If I get up there can I see the coating well enough to see if anything is cracked to the point that it would rust?

My current plan is certainly not to replace anything till it rusts (if it rusts) but if there was something I could do between now and then to hedge my bets I would.

Thanks

Old 07-27-14, 06:06 PM
A
Here is a picture, but it's hard to see the dents. If you look above the door you can see some of the dents.

Attached Images  
Old 07-27-14, 08:20 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What else did the insurance adjuster say besides the roof was damaged? How much is the insurance company willing to pay? I'm not a roofer but the roof doesn't look like it needs to be replaced.

Old 07-28-14, 04:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
The only way to get rid of the dents is to replace the metal. You can prime and paint the roof with solvent based coatings. Metal roofs get painted all the time although not as much as prior to the days of factory finished metal roof panels. Field applied coatings won't hold up as long as the factory finish.

Old 07-28-14, 06:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
As for the cost... I have noticed a dramatic rise in the price of some building materials. After all it is two years later and prices change. They would also have to remove and dispose of the existing metal roof which is no easy task.

Personally I would not have submitted something like that to my insurance company. It possibly could cause your rates to go up and the damage is rather minor. I'd even call it normal wear & tear as I've seen similar damage from large nuts falling off trees in addition to hail.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: