Iron pipe between roof downspout and drain

Old 08-03-14, 05:24 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Iron pipe between roof downspout and drain

Hi All,

I recently purchased my first house, so slowly learning things about the house. During a recent storm, I noticed that the drainage from the roof is a bit different than what I'm used to. Tried to attach a couple of photos, hopefully they work.

The downspout comes from the roof and ends about 4 ft from ground level/the drain. An iron pipe leads up from the drain at ground level up to the end of the downspout. When it rains, the iron pipe fills up with water and, once full, the water comes out of the top of the iron pipe and falls into the area of the drain below. I put a wire hanger down the iron pipe and the bottom feels pretty solid. Here are my thoughts:

1. The iron pipe should lead directly to the drain underground, but it's clogged.

2. The iron pipe is supposed to fill up and slows down the water coming from the roof so it doesn't hit the concrete at full speed and doesn't spread all over the yard before draining. That's why it first fills the iron pipe and then flows over and out of the iron pipe and into the drain below.

Maybe both theories are wrong. Would love to get some input on this. As a new homeowner, want to make sure I don't have a drainage problem before the next big storm. Thanks in advance!

Name:  roof drain 1.jpg
Views: 1609
Size:  39.0 KBName:  roof drain 2.jpg
Views: 4174
Size:  41.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-14, 05:34 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Run the water from the house directly into the drain. Does it flow freely? The idea is to determine if it's just the pipe that's clogged or the dry well below is clogged as well. If only the pipe is clogged, find a way to clean it hopefully without removing it. If not, it has to come out & be reinstalled.

Old 09-04-14, 08:15 AM
P
Thank you for the reply. I ended up cleaning out a portion of the cast iron pipe with a snake and the water from the roof drained through to the drain at the ground level. Couldn't get the entire pipe cleared out though. To reduce the amount of water going through the basement piping, decided to build extension of downspout leading away from house and to an adjoining alley. Hopefully won't have to worry about clogs after this. Cleaned out downspout at roof also. Thanks again.