Asphalt shingles - choosing

Old 03-15-01, 12:51 AM
Nagoy
Visiting Guest
I re-read an earlier post of mine asking how to go about re-roofing my house, and laughed a little. A few weeks later, and (a little) wiser, I'm getting estimates to have the pro's re-roof for me (thanks for the 'what were you thinking?' comments..!).

My question now is, what should you consider when deciding on the brand and grade of shingles to have installed? The cheapest, thin ones (25yr) generally do look cheap and thin after you've looked at the expensive (40 yr) thickest ones! The mid-range ones (30 yr) generally look Ok. The price difference is small between each grade, but multiplied out by a large area it becomes a little more significant. I was talking to a roofing co rep today, and the conversation turned quite morbid when we talked about whether people are still around when the warranty period comes to its end....!

Also, is there much difference between brands, other than colour and styles? I have one estimate that specified Elk, though they said they work with most brands. The estimate ranged from $7.5k (Prestique II) to $7.8 (Prestique I) to $8.1k (Prestique Plus) through the ranges, so actually not that a big a difference (but half way to a new dishwasher, for example). For GAF Grand Sequoia, from the same company, it jumped to $8.9k (which would pay for a live-in dishwasher!). It included re-sheathing with 7/16" OSB for a 1600 sq ft ranch plus dbl garage. The quote was actually quite impressive; they included about 35 pages of addresses of houses they've re-roofed...!

Old 03-17-01, 03:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When you say what kind of shingle to put on it makes alot of difference in what you want on your home. 3 tab, interlok, arch 80, what are you choosing for your style ?
Shingles are cheap. I would get a minimum of a 30 year and probably a 50 year shingle. Get a heavy (thick) shingle, and have them nailed (not stapled) on. There is nothing worse then having a thin shingle put on your home, and having a big wind rip it off. Best I can offer without more info. Oh yes, use 30# felt, and ice dam along all eves, and up 3'.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: