Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Have rolled roof cracking all over - no leaks though next steps?

Old 09-08-14, 01:46 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a rolled roof that has been on for about 12 years.. has lots of cracking and some places are literally peeling off. This roof was rolled over an existed rolled roof and I have never had any issues with leaking at least so no evidence of leaking.

I'm trying to determine if I should simply apply some tar over the loose areas and let the roof ride out a few more years or look at a full replacement.

Again.. I am not having any leaking issues.

Any thoughts on how to deal with a rolled roof that is work but funcitional at this oint?

Old 09-08-14, 02:41 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
If you can afford to do it, or have it done, a full tear-off and replacement would be best. If that is out of the question there are some coatings that can be applied that will give you some time, maybe only a year, maybe as much as five years. The bad part is that while less expensive then doing the job right the coatings ARE expensive.

Old 09-10-14, 05:31 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rolled roof over old rolled roof? picture attached

I have a rolled roof that was placed over an older rolled roof over 15 years ago. My roof is not leaking. The newest old roof as you can see is getting fairly worn yet as I have stated I am not really seeing any leaking at all.

I was planning on putting a coating of tar coating over the existing roofing and then another layer of rolled roofing.

Any thoughts on this process or other recommendations that may be cost effective. thank you

Attached Images  
Old 09-10-14, 07:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
In most situations two layers are the maximum permitted. Since you already have two I would tear off both layers and re-roof.

Old 09-10-14, 08:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Jeffrey: I have merged your two threads - please stick to one thread per question in the future, makes it a lot easier to keep things organized.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: