Metal roof panel width

Old 09-09-14, 10:34 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metal roof panel width

I'm shopping for a metal roof, and am stuck on a seemingly trivial choice. Which is: what width panel should I use?

There is the practical consideration. Wider panels mean fewer panels, hence less work. I doubt this is the lions share though and choosing on this basis may be penny wise.

Esthetics? Is this like corduroy pants? A fine wale seems more distinguished, and a coarse one more homey? Or is there a proportion ideal? It's a smaller house; should the panels be proportionately narrower?

Or, am I missing the real issue, something more to do with the sun, the stars, and my horoscope?

Old 09-09-14, 12:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
A lot has to do with the type of metal roof panel. The old corrugated and 5V crimp panels are 2' wide and come in a few select lengths. The newer factory painted panels are 3' wide and are cut to whatever length you specify.

Old 09-10-14, 07:42 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dang it, I always leave out an important detail. It'll be standing seam. Why do they offer such tiny width increments? 12"? 16"? 18"?

Old 09-10-14, 08:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I've not had much dealings with standing seam roofs and don't know much about them hopefully one of the others will chime in and help you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: