Gutters overflow- Need to add downspout?

Old 09-11-14, 02:47 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gutters overflow- Need to add downspout?

I have a one story ranch home. I have only 2 downspouts on the same side of the house in the corners. Im getting significant overflow during heavy rain on the other side of the house.

Problem is I cant add downspouts to the other corners, they would drain on a sloped driveway.

Is it non-standard to have a downpout in the middle of the house or rather in the middle of a gutter run?

What other options do I have?

Old 09-11-14, 03:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
Sloped how? I have a downspout which drains to the driveway.

Old 09-11-14, 05:01 PM
T
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Do you have the larger sized gutters and downspouts?
If you have the regular gutters you can try a larger downspout for a faster exit.

Many times a downspout is placed in the middle when the length is too far for a single downspout to carry it fast enough.

Old 09-12-14, 02:05 PM
A
Is it screwy that I only have 2 4x3 gutters on the corners of the same side for the entire house? I was thinking you needed one on each corner??

The house is a one story ranch, I would say between 75' from one side to the other.

The gutters only over flow during torrential rains.

Old 09-12-14, 02:32 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
2 downspouts to handle the perimeter gutter for the WHOLE house ? of course they'll overflow - hip roof OR gable ? you need another 2 IF i'm reading this right

your downspouts & gutters are clean, right ?

Old 09-12-14, 03:48 PM
A
Its a hip roof and I keep the gutters very clean... So this is completely wrong then?

Last edited by stickshift; 09-12-14 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Removed quoting of entire post
Old 09-12-14, 03:55 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
I can't imagine a ranch with a hip roof and only two downspouts.

Old 09-12-14, 06:55 PM
E
I am looking across the street and staring at my neighbor's hip roof that just had new gutters and unless I am missing something he only has downspouts up front. I know his drainage in the back is so horrible that he has to run a submersible pump to get water out from behind his house in torrential downpours, so they probably took the path of least resistance and just routed everything through two front down spouts. That's what I figure they did with the OP.

Normally you want one per corner for long runs on every side. But you can get away with running water around a corner to the far end on a porch or smaller addition where you only have a 10-20 foot run and then a real short run to the downspout after you turn the corner. The OP's setup is the way it is because the installer of the gutter system or builder probably just couldn't be bothered with solving the problem of how to drain the water from rear downspouts away from the house. Only easy way I see is to run pipe, buried or un-buried, further away to where the water can drain off or else to a drywall. It requires evaluating the terrain and doing some digging.

I don't even think he has to put in the labor to add two back there. If it is a 30-ish foot gutter he could get away with one and it would make a big difference. If it is more than that 2 is ideal but I still think even if he did one it would be a huge improvement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: