soffit vents - necessary

Old 09-14-14, 09:47 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
soffit vents - necessary

years ago the prior owner of the house had the soffit covered with the basic non-vented aluminum panels. would it be advisable to replace some or all of the panels with vented ones? how would they come out? i am assuming that the rivet securing them would have to be drilled out?

its a one story smaller home with an unfinished attic with a ridge vent in the roof which was added about 15 years ago (its an 80 year old house)
the attic is cold in the winter (north east) and never had any issues with ice dams

thanks for the advice
see attached
[ATTACH]38281

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-14, 11:00 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm from the school of non vented attics. That house seemed to live a full life for 65 years without venting and then someone thinking they be a scientist decided to screw it up. Leave it be. Ice dams, that's a subject those same scientist fail the test on test day.

Old 09-15-14, 02:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ideally you want fresh cooler air drawn into the attic and allow the hotter air to exit via the ridge vent. That is normal convection. How does the ridge vent work, now? Any way for fresher air to be drawn in, or is it just pretty? Your attic should be about the same temperature as the outside air to prevent cold or heat from causing damages to wood, insulation, etc. Without good air flow this is not possible.

What is under the present soffit panels? If it is open, then adding the panels was not a good idea. If there are existing vents on wooden soffit under the panels, likewise, the soffits should be allowed to breathe. The panels unsnap from each other. How often are rivets placed? Difficult to tell from the picture. If you need to drill the rivets, they can be replaced with white screws easily enough.

Old 09-15-14, 04:10 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
GA is a mixed climate, some heating and some cooling and good venting can help both. There are several issues related to attic venting.
1. Damage to the house from. Ice dams as mentioned are an indication of heat loss into the attic melting the snow which refreezes at the edge of the roof and can cause shingle damage or water damage.
2. Another form of damage comes from moisture moving through the ceiling through air leaks or right through the drywall/plaster. The result can be mold, or rot on the roof decking or rafters.
3. Comfort issues. Heat buildup in the summer can make for an uncomfortable home or increase the cost of air conditioning.
4. Be it summer or winter, there is a cost issue related to a poorly ventilated attic, but there are other issues that need to accompany that ventilation. Air sealing between house and attic along with lots of good insulation will make good ventilation better.

Obviously the house has done reasonable well, but it could do better, but I don't think it is an improvement that has to be done immediately. I would focus on air sealing first and while you are up there check to see what they covered up with those solid soffits as Chandler asked. Then I would add baffles out at the eaves and more insulation. If there are any hvac ducts up there they need to be air sealed and insulated as well.

THEN you can think about soffit venting, but the above improvements will have reduced the need for what already doesn't look that necessary.

Do you have gable vents as well as the ridge vent?

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: