putting shingles on a new shed

Old 09-19-14, 08:08 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
putting shingles on a new shed

i purchased some BP shingles at rona for my shed. im about to shed the roof (did alot of research online) but cant find much info on how to shingle a hip roof. the BP installation documentation only show instructions for a gable roof. i understand i should be chalking a vertical line from the center of the ridge to the eave? i understand how to place the starter shingles (i think). place the first piece centered on the line then follow from there on each side. row that sits on top of the starter course, do i also center that and then create a pyramid type effect keeping 6inchs from each side ? all i could find was this image http://www.homerepaircorner.ca/images/rooforder.jpg

thanks for your help.

Old 09-19-14, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you center subsequent courses after the first course, you won't be installing shingles in a staggered pattern. Follow the instructions on the shingle wrapper for determining the stagger offset, as they usually spell things out quite clearly. I'd let the last shingles at the ends of each course run wild past the hips, then trim them off parallel to the hip rafters after all courses are installed by snapping chalk lines. Don't forget to insert a thin scrap piece of plywood when cutting, as you don't want to damage shingles or roofing paper under them when cutting. It's a common mistake, often done even by professional roofers.

Old 09-19-14, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 939 Votes on 857 Posts
We have no idea what kind of shingles you have. Are they 3 tabs? laminated architectural shingles? Your picture shows 3 tabs, and yes, that's the method.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: