Opinnion - Water redirection from roof

Old 09-29-14, 06:36 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Opinnion - Water redirection from roof

Hello Everyone,

I've already got some great input/ideas on my home obsessions.

My newest one is to redirect water that falls from my roof directly onto the top of my window. It's caulked very well and water-tight. I am just trying to avoid further issues without ruining the aesthetics of the home if possible.

During heavy rains, water is directed to a point on my roof on the side and will come down directly onto our window in our living room. It is a little annoying.

I would like to avoid putting a gutter up there as it's too high for regular maintaince...and with us living in Maine we are VERY prone to ice dams.

Any ideas/products would be greatly appreciated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39059[/ATTACH]

Thank you!

Attached Images  
Old 09-29-14, 07:39 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If there's ice dams forming then you may have an issue with not enough insulation, improper venting, attic not air sealed.
May want to consider a water handler type rain gutter.
http://www.rainhandler.com/

Old 09-29-14, 07:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Is the water coming down on the three small windows? You could construct a small roof section above the windows. Maybe something that comes out 18-24" to provide some protection from above. You could position the roof high enough that it doesn't block the light but still deflects the bulk of the water coming down.

Old 09-29-14, 08:20 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your responses. We don't currently have an issue with ice dams but they are very common where we live...I am just trying to avoid issues.

I was also thinking of some type custom wood awning over the window. The rainhandler seems like a great idea as well...I forgot about those. I might install those as well either way.

Old 09-29-14, 11:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I've never been impressed with louvered type "gutters". They act like strainers and still catch leaves and twigs though a dry windy day can sometimes blow them clear. Since the water is still flowing off the roof by gravity they can break up the flow somewhat but it's still falling down right at the edge of the roof. On some roof pitches I've seen them reduce the distance water travels. Instead of racing down the roof and shooting outward the louvers break and slow the flow causing it to dribble down more vertically. It can reduce erosion on the ground but can make drainage worse because the water stays closer to the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: