HELP! Basement is leaking water through the cement walls!

Old 10-05-14, 08:11 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HELP! Basement is leaking water through the cement walls!

We just purchased a 1944 home, the first rain storm came through and 2 walls of our basements were leaking water. The water was coming from a spot about half way up the wall in both areas. On the exterior of these walls, there are concrete slabs up against the concrete foundation, so I cannot dig to find the problem. On the north leaking wall there are cracks in the concrete that may be contributing, how would I fix this problem? On the South leaking wall there are no cracks that I can see, but the concrete is obviously sloping towards the house. Is there an affordable way to remedy these leaks? Thanks in advance.

I can attach pictures if that helps.

Old 10-05-14, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Please attach pictures as they can be a big help in us helping you.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 10-06-14, 10:06 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For some reason the website will not allow me to upload pictures. Ive tried 3 times now.

Old 10-06-14, 10:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If the concrete is in good shape and isn't all broken up, you could have a professional mudjack it, which hydraulically lifts the cement. You could also check your gutters and make sure they aren't plugged or overflowing onto these areas, making the problem worse.

Old 10-07-14, 02:21 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
how do you define ' affordable ' ? ? ? IF you can find someone who injects hydrophyllic polyurethane, that may be the best beginning,,, it expands in water/moisture - we often use it for leaks in cracked conc,,, that same operator can also inject expandable structural polyurethane foam to life the conc thereby providing proper drainage WITHOUT adding immeasureable to the static deadload of the soil under the slabs

you're welcome !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: