cutting through siding for satellite installation

Old 03-19-01, 04:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

This may not be the right forum for this so I posted in both the 'Roofing' and the 'Appliances - TV and Stereo' forums.

I will be installing a new satellite dish on the roof of my house. What I would like to do is install the satellite on the roof and have both coaxial cables come into the attic so that I can do drops into my family room and my bedroom. The problem I am coming across is how to get the coaxial cables from the satellite dish into the attic. Meaning how do I cut through my aluminum siding? Do I just find a spot (no studs), drill and then seal with silicone?

Thanks.

Old 03-19-01, 09:35 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you can run the coax through either an existing gable or soffit vent, you'll be much better off. Drilling a hole in the aluminum siding will leave a sharp edge that will eventually cut through the coax, plus putting a hole in the siding opens the possibility of a leak.

Old 03-20-01, 06:53 AM
Visiting Guest
I don't have a gable and I am not certain what a soffit vent is. The side of the house where I need to install has a wall of siding leading up to some wood trim with the roof directly above. Is there a place between the siding and trim in which I could insert the coax cables? I will have to get up there to get a better look.

Old 03-21-01, 09:39 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can probably go through the wood trim and get the cable into the attic. Like you said though, You'll have to get up there and get a better look to know for sure.

Old 03-31-01, 11:13 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cable through siding

Hi;
If you cut the hole through there is a product called a ' thru the call conduit'. It is basicly a small tube that is pushed into the hole you cut and the cable goes through it. Saves the cable from being cut, gives a weather proof and bug seal with a small amount of caulking applied to it. Radio Shack and good electroniic stores will have them, possibly even a siding supply store. I would check the attis window frame and drill the hole around there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: