small leak in shingle roof

Old 03-20-01, 02:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have just found a small leak in my shingle roof that only seems to be a problem during very heavy downpours. The roof has a fairly good pitch, in the neighborhood of 40 degrees, so light or moderate rain does not seem to be a problem. Also, since I live in Florida, ice is not an issue. I would like to stop the leak with a temporary fix that will last until I have the shingles replaced later this year (7-8 months). Unfortunately, the leak is on the front of the house and any repair job will be highly visible, so it's best if the fix is as unnoticible as possible. I believe the roof is almost 20 years old, and the shingles are a dark brown color. I can also follow "do-it-yourself" directions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-21-01, 03:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Usually where the leak is coming in is not where the water is entering. Water can travel all over in a roof before appearing. I would first of all put new seal around your vents or any roof openings. This is usually the prime place to find the hole. The hole will be very small. Sometimes it is just a shingle corner turned up. They can drive you nuts.

Old 04-06-01, 09:37 AM
outridge
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi, We are in a similar situation, but the roof is on a utility porch -- used to be an external porch but was closed in. We've resealed around the flashing and chimney and thought we had it, but heavy rains proved us wrong. There is no visible leak when you go up to the crawl space above the house, but you can't get over the porch. Is it possible it is coming in behind a shingle on the porch itself or is it more likely its in the main part of the house and running to the old porch roof along a beam?

The water is running down from somewhere and damming on a stud, then working through the drywall seam.

I've cut a small portion of the ceiling but there is a lot of soggy wallboard and insulation to get through.

What is the next step?

Thanks...soonest answer appreciated. Its raining, so I'll hopefully be able to find the source.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: