Rotted window sill question...

Old 12-13-14, 05:10 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rotted window sill question...

I have a rotted window sill where about 20% of it is all rotted away in one corner; part of the bottom of the side trim is rotted as well.

How can I cover them up, or temporarily fix them to get me through the winter until I can fix them properly in the spring? I don't want water to get in there and get into the wall.

Old 12-13-14, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,534 Votes on 1,378 Posts
Pump a tube of caulk into the void and sculpt it with something flat.

Old 12-14-14, 04:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
You also could possibly replace just the sill nosing and brick mold in the same time it would take to fix it temporarily. The side casing can also be repaired using epoxy materials such as Bondo.

Old 12-14-14, 06:48 AM
M
Thanks for the reply. But isn't it too cold for that to dry properly? It's in the 20's and night and 30's during the day here. I think it has to be warmer than that for it to dry? Also, would I be able to remove that easily when I go to replace or repair the sill?

Old 12-14-14, 06:50 AM
If it is too cold for the caulking, you can use the epoxy/bondo. It cures chemically and produces its own heat as it cures. If you are going to replace it all, then pretty isn't necessary for short term.

Old 12-14-14, 06:51 AM
M
Also, I can't replace the sill properly now because it's too cold to prime, paint, and caulk everything...

Old 12-14-14, 06:57 AM
M
Hey chandler... thanks for the tips. (I haven't figured out how to quote replies on this forum).

I was just thinking, would spray foam work to seal it up until spring? I would think I would be able to remove/cut it away when I go to fix it later...

Old 12-14-14, 07:03 AM
NO. Spray foam is porous and will let water go past. Good for insulation, but exposed to the elements, not so good.
In order to quote, just copy what you want to quote, click on the quote cloud on the right side of the bar above, then remove all the reference data leaving everything in the middle between the {QUOTE} marks. But no real need to quote things closely associated with your next post. Only if it gets separated, or if it is really important to emphasize a point.

Old 12-14-14, 07:05 AM
M
Thanks man. So no spray foam... somehow covering it with plastic probably wouldn't work either as it probably wouldn't seal 100%...

Old 12-14-14, 07:07 AM
Right. Pop for the bondo, mix it up (2 parts), apply it as smooth as possible. It also expands as it heats up, so it is good for such repairs.

Old 12-14-14, 07:11 AM
M
Cool, I will look into that... thanks man!

Old 12-14-14, 07:13 AM
We're here. Let us know when you get ready to do the real work. Post pictures so we can see what you see, and it will make our advice better in the spring, when it gets warmer.

Old 12-14-14, 07:21 AM
M
Cool, i will definitely post some pics...

Old 12-14-14, 10:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
If you do decide to repair it correctly now, you can prime the wood inside and install it after it dries. Depending on how far north you are, you can still do exterior painting but you have to watch the weather and pick your days

Old 12-14-14, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,534 Votes on 1,378 Posts
Solvent based caulk can be applied. in almost any temperature.

OSI Quad would be an example. Vulkem is another. Since you said its a temporary fix, that seems to be the obvious choice.

Old 12-14-14, 04:31 PM
M
If you do decide to repair it correctly now, you can prime the wood inside and install it after it dries. Depending on how far north you are, you can still do exterior painting but you have to watch the weather and pick your days
I was thinking something like that too, but not sure if it's doable, as I may not have the time the one day it hits 45...

Solvent based caulk can be applied. in almost any temperature.

OSI Quad would be an example. Vulkem is another. Since you said its a temporary fix, that seems to be the obvious choice.
Cool, maybe I can just it all in with that to keep the water out for the winter...

Old 12-15-14, 08:29 AM
M
Here is a pic of the window:
Name:  window.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  41.9 KB

Old 12-15-14, 09:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
If it were me, I'd cut and prime new wood, maybe even apply 1 coat of finish [all indoors] and then install it. The problem with using any kind of filler is where do you stop removing the bad? If you just patch what is missing, it won't be long before the surrounding wood falls out

Old 12-15-14, 09:55 AM
M
If it were me, I'd cut and prime new wood, maybe even apply 1 coat of finish [all indoors] and then install it. The problem with using any kind of filler is where do you stop removing the bad? If you just patch what is missing, it won't be long before the surrounding wood falls out
Well, when I do it properly in the spring I plan to cut out the rotted part by making a square cut, possibly using some wood hardener and filler in the open areas, then putting in new pieces of wood, getting them as close as possible to the existing wood, then caulking the seems....

Old 12-16-14, 08:55 AM
J
Rotted window sill and trim

Consider replacing the sill and trim with PVC....will not rot. Also, if you're brave and want to do it now the PVC does not have to be painted and there are caulks that can be applied in low temperatures to seal the joints. I've had good luck with AZEK brand PVC...done a lot of window sills, corner trim boards. Not cheap but good stuff and easy to cut and shape. I had rotten sills and trim boards that look like yours. I used MinWax wood filler (works and hardens like Bondo) initially but eventually had to replace entire boards.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: