What is proper backing for torch-down roof?

Old 12-17-14, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is proper backing for torch-down roof?

Short version of the question: What is proper material to apply on top of plywood before installing torch down roof?

Long version
I ripped old porch flat roof, put in new beams and new plywood. Increased drop to 2 inches per foot. (2/12) ( I was not able to make it any stripper because of the windows and aesthetic looks) Planning to hot roll but understand that it should not be rolled on bare plywood. (Roof is 40’ by 8’ with proper ventilation)

1. Was told to use felt paper but I HATE that option because hot roll will be melted to felt paper that is secured by nails to plywood. Good pull at the corner and nail will pull thru felt paper. I fill like roofing material is just laying but not secured.

2. Option two is to use fiber board, but I hate that idea because that board looks like plywood made out wood dust mixed with fibers that won’t burn BUT it so brittle, I fill like it will fail. (when I was touching it I was thinking to myself, “no way, this is krap, the “wonder board” I use in bathrooms would be much better deck then this stuff.” I’m not saying I will use wonder-board.)

So my solution that I like is to use none-granulated ice-shield (Tribuilt SA BASE SHEET, self-adhered SBS membrane). Nailed with round plastic cap roofing nails and then hot roll on top of that… What you think?

Why not roll on bare plywood?
1. Fire hazard. 2. I was told that torch down will come unglued from plywood because plywood expands and contracts. Is that correct assumptions? I don’t think ice-shield paper is more flexible then torch-down. And I never seen ice-shield come unglued from plywood….

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-14, 05:22 AM
any suggestions, i'm applying asphalt primer to the plywood now.

Old 12-18-14, 09:11 AM
Primer is almost dry, will start putting ices held in hour or so. So anyone thinks its bad idea?

Old 12-18-14, 02:33 PM
Well “speak now or hold your peace time” has passed, ice-shield is installed. But if you think I should not torch-down on ice shield then let me know why it’s bad idea….

Old 12-18-14, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Sorry you didn't get a response s5, but we really don't have any experts in that type of install. It's not all that common in most parts of the country. Asphalt shingles...oh heck yeah. Roll roofing...yep, people can help. Torch down is a different animal.

I'll assume this isn't completely DIY, so you have to trust your contractor and have a good contract. If it is DIY...you have to take the advice given locally.

Hope it works out.

Old 01-10-15, 03:01 PM
Hi just for everyone's knowledge going forward there is a material called glass base sheet. It is a material that is installed just like felt (tar paper) you want to use metal simplex nails to attach it. Then torch right over it. This material is very important to use when torching on older homes when you have to run your torchdown up a wall, make sure your glass base sheet extends up the wall further than your torch down is going to end. You can nail it to the studs, being careful not to put any holes in it, this will be your fire barrier to prevent from burning the place down. Always moderate your fire when torching walls and flashings keep fire extinguishers handy and when your done torching for the day hang around for an hour to ensure nothing catches fire. Sometimes fires can start as an enternal smolder that is not immediately noticed. Happy Torching!

Old 01-12-15, 06:42 AM
Thank you for replies.

Should I use Tamko Glass-base on top of ice-shield or it will be overkill?