DIY'er gutter question

Old 01-24-15, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DIY'er gutter question

I currently have gutters installed except one short section of upper roof that drains partially onto a lower porch roof and partially onto the ground next to the foundation. I would like to install a gutter on the upper roof but I am not sure what the best way to do this would be. See the pic below for a few different options I am considering:

1. drain into the existing lower porch gutter

2. run a downspout straight down the side of the house

3. downspout right along the corner of the house, with a few bends to match the cantilevered portion of the house

1 seems like it could be problematic during a big downpour - which we tend to get in the spring and fall.

2 and 3 make the most sense to me, with 3 being more aesthetically pleasing. What would you do?

One other question I have is: Where do I stop the gutter at point A where it butts up against the valley of the other roof slope. Should I stop it a foot short of the valley? or go right up against it as far as I can?

Name:  gutter.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  45.3 KB

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-15, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
One of the roofing and gutter pro's should be along; in the meantime I'll give you my DIY-er 2 cents worth.

1. I would go the #1 route, although your concern about downpours could be an issue. But remember that part of the runoff that would be coming out the downspout to the lower gutter is already flowing through that gutter. You would be adding some additional quantity of water that is currently missing the lower roof section and dropping directly to the ground.

2. I would stop it at least several inched short of butting up against the shingles on the inner end.

Old 01-26-15, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'd "vote" (in order, based on my thinking) for 3, then 2. My reason for not suggesting option #1: I think, as you mentioned concern about downpours, that you would be adding extra water to the lower roof's gutter-the water from from the (approximately) one third of the upper roof that currently falls directly to the ground.
By the way, I like that you have drawn, at the bottom of the downspouts, extensions that will help direct the water away from the foundation.
Whatever you decide, good luck with your project, and please let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-26-15, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
2 or 3 with the idea of getting the water as far from the house as possible.

Old 01-27-15, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am leaning towards 2 - as it's the simplest. I'm also planning on extending the downspouts past the normal 6 ft from foundation. We've only been in the house 1 year (one of the wettest springs on record for MN), but we had a hard time keeping the humidity down in the lower level during the spring and most of the summer.

Old 07-11-15, 12:22 PM
In case anyone is interested, I ended up hiring a professional and went with number #3. Disappointed I didn't do it myself, but I ended up breaking my thumb in March and I really wanted the gutters installed before the spring rains. Couldn't be happier that I did it, we got 4" of rain the other night, any my foundation was dry, dry ,dry! Humidity in the basement hasn't gone over 50% this year.

Old 07-11-15, 02:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
That's great news that you got it done before the rains. Sorry about the thumb, but that almost makes eating a task, much less DIY projects. Thanks for letting us know.

Old 07-11-15, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Hey Kanufoot, I think I can see your house!

I would vote with #3. It will look better with the downspout at the corner. Make sure to use the bigger down spouts (3x4 I think)