What is gravel stripping on a roof?

Old 03-27-01, 01:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm selling my home and the buyer had an inspection done. The inspector said that the roof need to be replaced because it was missing a gravel piece. In order to put this piece on the roof need to be redone. Other than that the roof is in perfect condition. Can anyone explain what this piece is and is it really necessary?

Old 03-27-01, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are you sure that he said gravel and not valley?
The only gravel that I've ever seen on a roof is on a tar-and-gravel flat roof. Is that what you have?
If the over-all roof is in good condition, you should not have to replace it, just repair that part of it that needs it.
Good Luck!

Old 03-29-01, 02:47 AM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
Maybe what he was talking about a "gravel-stop". If you have a low-pitched roof with stone of some kind on it, the metal edging usually has a raised portion to keep the stone from blowing off the roof or being washed away by rain. Stones on the roof are used as an aggregate, that is to keep the weather away from the roof material. It can be gravel, marble chips, or even 2" rocks. If you need to install a gravel stop it can be a good sized job but shouldn't involve replacing the whole roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: