Advice on partial roof replacement...

Old 04-26-15, 05:08 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on partial roof replacement...

We discovered a leak a week ago and discovered that the plywood had actually rotted through. Luckily, it was leaking over the walkway of the porch and not our living space.

We had the insurance adjuster out last week and we're waiting to hear back from our insurance company now. They offered to send someone out to put up tarp, but I'm not sure if we want to spend the money for a temp repair (we have a $1500 deductible).

If you look at the link below, it shows the rotted plywood and the spot on the roof where it's leaking.

HOUSE Photos by hikerguy1 | Photobucket

The adjuster walked all around the roof but couldn't determine where it was leaking from. We had one roofer come out to give us a quote and he said the "j channels" are notorious for causing leaks.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1. Should we spend the money for a temp fix? I went up in the attic and took a tube of what is basically asphalt and used a putty knife to spread it all over where the hole was. Did I cause my self more headaches doing this? My wife is concerned it may just divert that water to another area and cause other problems.

2. The adjuster said they "might" replace the two sections of the roof (if you look at the pic of the house, he was talking about that whole area around both dormers, as well as the the right (which is one side of the garage). If (and that's a big if) they do that, I'd like some advice on what things I should be asking the roofing company (e.g. what type of tiles should I request, what should they be putting down over the plywood, etc.). It's a given that those rotted pieces of plywood will be replaced.

Thanks,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-15, 05:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Don't try to fix it with tar. Most likely what you have is a flashing failure next to the dormer. Of course we can't see up close. A good inspector would have found that. If insurance will redo all around both dormers, ensuring good flashing, it may be worth the deductible. Just fixing what you show wouldn't be worth the hassle of involving the insurance company, as it may cost less than the deductible. J channel isn't the culprit, as it isn't a waterproof barrier anyway. He needs to check the flashing.

Old 04-26-15, 05:36 PM
K
Your wife is right. Patching from the inside is not going to stop the leak from getting in on the outsIde, it will just be redirected.

Your shingles look to be in fairly good shape. How old are they?

Your pic has an x on it next to the dormer. Is that where the plywood is rotted on the inside? Above you said it was leaking above your porch.

Old 04-26-15, 06:45 PM
H
I think the roofer did mention flashing as well. I know it will get redirected, but I just didn't want to have to get up in the attic and soak up the water that accumulated on the plastic over the porch walkway (which is what I did when we first noticed the leak in the attic a week ago).

If this gets repaired in a couple of weeks, would it be ok leaving the tar on there, or should I try to scrape it off (or poke a hole back in it to have it drip onto the porch overhang again?).

When you walk out the front door about 2' and look up, that's where the leak is occurring (which corresponds to the x on the pic). That area above the porch is "finished" with some type of plastic (similar to vinyl), so no damage is being done. The real problem there is the weight of the water getting to be so great that it might cause the plastic to collapse.