Ice Dam Membrane on new roof

Old 04-30-15, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice Dam Membrane on new roof

We live in Massachusetts and had our roof replaced this past September. I was told that the roofer was putting down a 6' wide ice dam membrane but with all the snow we had this winter, I had some pretty bad ice dams and water leaked into the house in four different places. Without ripping up shingles, is there a way to find out if the membrane was actually installed? Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-15, 01:54 PM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
To answer your question. no, you would have to remove some shingles to confirm the ice and water shield was installed. However, ice and water material is NOT waterproof and should not be used as the solution for ice dams. Do Ice Dam Membranes Stop Ice Dams? Learn Here From The Experts. Summit Ice Melt Systems

Although the name conveys a strong sense of confidence in the real world it is a must to eliminate all of the ice dam issues you can before replying on this last line of defense.

My guess is, the ice and water shield was installed as intended, however, either the ice dams you experienced backed the water up past the 6' or the installation suffered a flaw as explained in the above link.

Best approach from this point forward would be to address the causes of the ice dams.

Bud

Old 04-30-15, 05:40 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Get on a ladder and lift the bottom shingles and look.
No need to remove anything.