Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Where older roof shingles meet newer ones, how to fix poor seal?

Old 05-15-15, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi, so about 6 years ago we had all the shingles in our house replaced. Last year we added on a room on to the house, and luckily they were able to find and use the same shingles on the addition. However, I found a where the new shingles overlay the old; some of the old shingles are not tightly laying on the new ones – not forming a tight seal. How do you recommend I make these old shingles flush with the old one? If using cement or such where on the old shingle would I place it? E.g. very bottom or 3 inches from the bottom etc.?

I also want to point out that the new shingles look perfectly placed and proper with the old ones as far as placement goes, the seal just seems off.

Edited to include image: They replaced the skylight so they shingled around that as well.

Name:  old shingle meets new 20150515_164916.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  23.4 KB

Thanks

Last edited by pappy_spider; 05-15-15 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-15, 02:08 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
Got a picture so we can see what your talking about.

Old 05-15-15, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Old 05-15-15, 03:56 PM
Here is another pic, zoomed in a bit. Name:  zoomed old shingle meets new 20150515_164916.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  34.5 KB

Old 05-15-15, 05:10 PM
The waviness in the close-up photo shows what appears to be shingles laid on top of shingles. You first mentioned "where the new shingles overlay the old," but then you said "some of the old shingles are not tightly laying on the new ones." Quite frankly, I'm confused. Could you clarify what's going on?

Old 05-16-15, 04:17 AM
I don't believe they used two layers of shingles anywhere.Writing where the new shingles overlay the old is not accurate, they wove in the new under the old shingles. Oh and this was done in winter on a cold windy day and it didn't get above freezing for like 60 days after this.