Water intrusion at the edge of a flat metal roof

Old 05-19-15, 04:44 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water intrusion at the edge of a flat metal roof

Hi all! I was hoping for some advice on sealing the edge of a flat metal roof - not a typical condition. Pretty much everything I've found on the interwebs for flat roofs talks about shingles or EPDM. But anyway, here's a couple pics.

Name:  IMG_0587.jpg
Views: 8530
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0590.jpg
Views: 2945
Size:  32.5 KB

The dilemma of course is that on a flat roof condition, the drip edge can serve as a means for water to enter the roof below the r-panel. And it does - especially in a directional rain.

My best guess at the moment is to remove the drip edge.
Then lift up the r-panel.
Apply a thick bead of sealant on the top of the drip edge.
Then reinstall the drip edge.
The sealant would hopefully act as a stop for water traveling into the roof between the r-panel and the drip edge.

But then I've still got little openings under all the ribs. And I can't think of an elegant way to seal those up.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-15, 04:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 741 Upvotes on 647 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but where does the rafter end? is the drip edge attached to the rafter tails or just screwed to the roof metal?

Old 05-19-15, 05:13 AM
I
Hmmm I've should've gotten a closer look this morning. Not sure. It could be just shoved under the r-panel unfastened, actually (new house). But I would guess it's attached to the rafter tails. The rafter tails end just behind the gutter.

Here's an idea I just had.

Name:  drip edge.jpg
Views: 9324
Size:  16.5 KB

There appears to be room for the drip edge to be pushed back under the r-panel, but still be in front of the gutter. So maybe that would stop it from being a vehicle for rain. And to provide a "drip" on the underside of the r-panel, maybe a bead of sealant would work? That might be a clunky fix.

Old 05-19-15, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,540 Posts
They make foam closure that is the shape of the roofing profile. That should have been used as the roofing was being laid down.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50754[/ATTACH]

image credit: home depot dot com

They make another foam closure for when it needs to go on top of the roofing, like at the ridge cap.

Attached Images  
Old 05-19-15, 05:25 AM
I
Oh nice! I figured something like that was too good to be true.

Old 05-19-15, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,540 Posts
Where your two pitches of roof come together, there should probably be a wide metal flashing that goes over the lower sheets and under the upper ones. The sheets would be sealed to that flashing with the foam closure there too. I wonder how much leakage you are getting there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: