Cleaning gutters/bleach?

Old 05-23-15, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning gutters/bleach?

Hello. I am renting a power washer for two days. I have a 2 gallon pump up sprayer. I was going to use one part bleach to two parts of water and spray the guttering, Let it soak and power wash. What would be the correct mixture of bleach and water? I will not be using and any other chemical. it's bleach or nothing. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-15, 01:12 PM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts
Why do you want to use bleach? What do you think it will do for you?

Old 05-23-15, 01:44 PM
Unsure. Inxperienced. The rental place and I probably wouldn't eat anything because it's 4000 PSI. Guess I'll try that first

Old 05-23-15, 01:53 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I would suggest a relatively benign cleaner such as Simple Green and a scrub brush after a light power washing and then a second power washing. My personal experience is that doing it this way will remove a whole lot more dirt and grime than just power washing alone, regardless of any cleaners added to the power washer stream.

Old 05-23-15, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 271 Posts
I agree with Furd, that a detergent would do more to clean than bleach would. Bleach could possibly stain your roof. You could even use dish soap in the water... you do use soap, right?

Even if you use plain water, the power washer will do most of the work.

Bleach is good along with power washing to help brighten up a deck or fence that is unfinished.

Old 05-23-15, 02:19 PM
What ratio of simple green u recommend for pump up sprayer? I have to go to menards anyway. Using this stuff at least I wouldn't have to cover anything up. Thx

Old 05-23-15, 02:30 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Dilution depends upon how much dirt and how well stuck it is. One-to-one ratio at the strongest and maybe as dilute as one part SG to four parts water. I found that using the solution in a bucket and spreading it around with a (relatively) soft brush on a handle (think car wash brush) immediately after first rinsing with the pressure washer worked the best. Don't overextend the amount that you brush as you do not want it to dry in place before using the PW.

Old 05-23-15, 03:02 PM
Gonna spray it on with pump sprayer.

Old 05-23-15, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The only time I had a need for bleach in the mix was when I had stains caused by pine needles and leaves that had accumulated (due to me being lazy) and the overflowing water caused staining on the face of the gutters. Just hosing off with soap didn't work, so I sprayed a bleach solution on then rinsed. Didn't have a long reach brush or a good pressure washer and was looking to sell quick. The spray and rinse worked well.

Probably didn't help the condition of the finish on the gutters though.

Old 05-23-15, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all the input I'm just going to mix up a solution of water and simple green in my pump sprayer. Presoak and power wash. Yes I'm attempting to sell my house as well

Old 05-23-15, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Bleach works good if there is mildew on the gutters. While I normally use a pump up garden sprayer to apply the cleaning agent and a pressure washer to rinse a house, I often clean the gutters by hand. It does a better job and you don't have to be concerned about the shingles.