Fascia problems

Old 05-24-15, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fascia problems

I have just noticed that I have a problem with my homes fascia. I have attached a couple of pics so you can see what I am concerned about. Our house is 17 years old and had no gutters up until about a year ago when I had them installed along the back of the house. As you can see in the pics, I attached, this fascia problem is under a gutter but I have the same fascia problem on 3 other corners of the house.

First off, is this a DIY project and if it is any tips you can offer will be appreciated. If I decide to contract the repairs out, how what do you think an approximate cost would be for this one area pictured? If contracted out, what questions should I ask the contractor?

Thanks for the advice.

Charlie

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-15, 06:05 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If you just want to cover those openings, Home Depot sells some 'aluminum stock'. It comes on a roll. One side is white & the other side is brown. All you need is a good pair of tin sheers. Aluminum nails with white heads are also available.

Old 05-24-15, 06:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 259 Posts
Is there a gap on the back of the fascia where the fascia meets the soffit? If not, it has probably always been that way and the caulking has failed. (recaulk and paint)

If there is a gap where the fascia meets the soffit, the fascia should be tapped back together before you caulk and paint.

Old 05-24-15, 06:55 PM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
I see a bunch of issues.
Gutter was run to long.
Sure looks like there may not be enough soffet venting.
Someone really messed up when cutting the fashis's and cut them to short.
What's the black poop someone used to fill the gaps?
Coil stocks not going to do you any good without removing the gutters removing all the old plywood soffits, installing new vinyl or aluminum soffets and installing all new coil stock to cover all the old fashias,
Even to do a simple fix to fill the gap you have now would require an $80.00 roll of coil stock, snips and a brake to bend the metal around that 1 X.
No way would I be using aluminum coil stock nails!
Want a cheap fast fix, fill the gaps with latex caulking and paint over it.
It's under a roof, not going to leak.

Old 05-25-15, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Unless the wood moves when you push against it, I'd caulk it, paint and keep an eye on it.

Old 05-25-15, 05:12 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I thought of caulk too but the gap seemed too wide.

Old 05-25-15, 05:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've caulked worse some of the so called carpenters I've went behind
Enough caulk and putty and you make most anyone look like a carpenter

Old 05-25-15, 05:34 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Looks like they attached the gutter to the shingle molding and its pulling away. Push on the fascia and if it moves then the weight of the gutter is pulling it away from the rafter tails. I guess that the fascia was put up with trim nails only. Personally, I think it is an incorrect installation of the gutters and is the fault of the company that installed your gutters. They need to return and re-hang the gutters screwed into the rafters not just the fascia.

Old 05-25-15, 06:18 AM
Temporarily Suspended
marksr, what's the trick to caulk a space that wide?

Old 05-25-15, 06:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pulpo, there are several ways to do it. Ideally you'd use a backer rod or even a piece of wood glued in place with caulking. Worst case scenario is you run a bead of caulk to both sides and then come back later to finish.

ccm, if the fascia is loose - that needs to be addressed first!

Old 05-25-15, 09:20 AM
Thanks

I want to thank all of you who took time to reply and offer your advice. If our rain ever stops I will get out there and get a better feel for what I have.

Charlie

Old 05-25-15, 04:37 PM
Temporarily Suspended
marksr, I like the idea of doing it in two stages. Thanks

Old 09-14-15, 11:37 AM
Thanks and question

I wanted to bring everyone up on the status of my fascia problem. I had a highly respected carpenter look at my fascia and he said it was caused my the abnormally high amounts of rain we had in the spring. He looked at all corners of my house and found the same problem with every place the fascia made a angle. He pointed out that my neighbors, on all sides of my house, had the same problem. I had not noticed the problem on my neighbors houses. He recommended caulking the cracks to see if that resolved my problems and if that did not work he said we would go to the next step.

So my question is can someone recommend a caulking for this project. I went to Lowe's and was overwhelmed with the choices and I honestly don't trust the sales people there to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks for your help.

Charlie

Old 09-14-15, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm partial to the 'white lightning' brand of caulk which is sold at our local lowes. The main thing is to use a siliconized acrylic latex caulk [it's paintable] .... or you could step up to a polyurethane caulk but they aren't as readily available.

Old 09-15-15, 03:43 PM
Thanks

I bought the White Lightning and it worked great. Thanks for the recommendation.

Charlie