new roof

Old 03-31-01, 04:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Are there really big differences and advantages to choosing 30 or 40 year shingles over 25 year shingles? How much more can I expect to pay for a longer life shingle? (I have a 10 year old home with 25 year shingles and need to replace the roof already due to poor installation and design.) I have gotten 3 estimates so far, and all specify Tamko 25 year. Do you know anything about this brand? Living in Buffalo, we need to apply "ice & water sheild", are there any pointers you can give me with regard to that? (brand name?, how high up it should be applied? etc) Also, what about bathroom fan exhaust? At present the fans vent into the attic! and I think is the source of at least a couple ceiling water stains.( I know, I know....even to a novice this seems ridiculous...but when building the house I was younger and blissfully ignorant....oh if I had to do it all over again!) Should these fans be revented to the roof or eaves? Also, what sort of valley construction should I be asking/looking for? One bid specifies double lined valleys. What does it mean...should I make sure that all bids include it? How about ridge vents? Any pointers there? There are probably many more questions I should be considering, and am not knowlegable enough to even think of. What details am I overlooking? Thanks, Nicole
Oh, and while I'm at it....my bathroom skylight has condensation between the glass panes. Is there an easy/inexpensive way to have this glass replaced or am I better of replacing the whole skylight as long as the roof will be torn up anyway?

Old 03-31-01, 08:45 AM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
The major difference between 25 yr and 40 yr shingles is the weight and thickness. A 40 year shingle is much heavier. Shingles are rated by how much one square(100 sq ft) weighs. So you will see them listed as anywhere from 240# to over 300#. The heavier shingle will last longer and also hold its shape longer. But I feel there is a limit to how much you should spend. The cheapest shingles sell for $25-30 per square. Heavier shingles, also called architectural or dimensional shingles, can be as much as $40-90 per square. I would say that once you start getting over $50-60 per square you are paying for the look of the shingle and a "40 year manufacturer's warranty". This warranty is usually worthless. The person who installs your roof is the one who must guarantee it. As far as brands, Tamko is a lower priced shingle. The better brands are Bird, Gaf, Celotex, and Johns Manville. Make sure the shingles are asphalt shingles and not fiberglass based. Fiberglass shingles are notorious for blowing off in cold areas. A good ice and water shield is made by Grace Products. Not knowing what the slope of your roof is or where you have snow accumulate I can't say where you should place it. Besides at the eaves, ice guard should be used in the valley areas. They can then be covered with a cap sheet with granules to match the roof. This gives you two layers or plies in your valleys. One of your biggest problems is the exhaust fan in the attic. All this moisture has got to be soaking your insulation. This makes the insulation useless. As you lose more heat through the roof it melts the ice and snow over the living area but not at the eaves, causing water to be trapped behind the ice dam formed. Vent it out of the bathroom which ever way is shortest, along the ceiling and out the wall, preferably, or straight up and out the roof. If you have to vent it throught the roof, make sure the duct pipes in the attic are well insulated. As the warm moist air runs through the pipe it can begin to condensate in the pipe if it is cold. As far as your skylight, you may be able to get a new bubble or dome for it. I'm not a big fan of skylights in cold areas, they can sweat or condensate too. They are nice but must be installed correctly. If your roof has a low slope any skylights should be placed on a curb that raises it about 6 inches off the roof. The top of this curb is also a good place for ice guard as snow will get trapped behind it. Hope all this helps. By the way, I'm from Buffalo too so I figured I'd give you some special attention. We deserve it.

Old 04-01-01, 06:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank you pgrfr!!! You have given me many things to discuss with my prospective roofer. All the bids I have gotten specify Tamko....I will ask about the brands you mentioned. I suspect that contractors get bulk pricing if they stick to one brand....that may be why they do not offer you an option? Also, one bid states "25 yr laminated architectural" another "architectural fiberglass asphalt"....guess I better get more information on all of them.
I figured the vents were a problem...I can't believe some of the stuff our builder pulled, and he is spoken highly of and builds mainly "upscale" homes. Go figure! It is also surprising to me that there is such a disparity among roofing contractors as to the length of their warranties. I have only gotten estimates (4) from companies that have been in business for over 10 years, so I can be somewhat sure they will be around if I need them (although my builder is still around....for all the good it's done me). Even so, the guarantees range from 2 to 10 years.
As for the skylight, it seemed like a good idea when we built, and hasn't been a leak problem....but oh my, it sure does let in a tremendous amount of heat in the summer. I have to keep a pleated shade closed over it to keep the bathroom a bearable temperature. Its not one that has a plastic bubble, but rather a flat, double paned, insulated glass. I suspect it is a Vellux. They have a 10 year warranty on the glass, but since it is a bit over 10 years, I am out of luck.
You sound like you might be in the construction field. Know any good roofers in the Buffalo/southtowns area?
Thanks again, Nicole

Old 04-01-01, 08:15 AM
Visiting Guest
hi nicole,I used to live and roof in buffalo,just off of elmwood ave.Any way we used to use alot of iko shingles seemed to be a very good brand.i think pgr might have meant to say dont even consider bird shingles unless you are doing a dog house.a good roofing contractor up that way is martins roofing his office is right on elmwood ave .he has been in business for about 15 yrs that i know of and backs his gaurentees faithfully.we very seldom had call backs but when we did it was usaully the next day aftter the call we were there.well hope this helps cant hurt to talk with dave martin

Old 04-02-01, 05:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank you mrmojo. I will look up Martin Roofing today. Funny you mention Bird, since one contractor who gave me an estimate said they used Bird exclusively until recently, when Bird went out of business or was taken over by another company. I will look up IKO and see what I come up with. I appreciate your taking the time to help me out. Nicole

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: