Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Primer when Using Zip-System tape to seal joints in regular OSB roof decking

Old 06-11-15, 08:10 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am planning to tear off shingles and underlayment and re-shingle. To decrease chance of water intrusion in the event of a future shingle and underlayment blow-off, I plan to seal the joints between existing 7/16 OSB with Huber Zip-System tape, which, according to the Huber website is supposed to "adhere fine to both plywood and OSB sheathing," (although the tape is not warranted except when used with Zip-System panels). The website did not say if a primer would be necessary to ensure adhesion of the tape to the OSB, tough. Other peel and stick flashing tapes (DuPont StraigtFlash, for example) do recommend a primer to ensure proper adhesion of their products to OSB or plywood. As with any flashing tape, I will use a J-roller to ensure proper adhesion as well.

So my question is - should I prime the OSB sheathing before applying the Zip-System tape to the decking joints? And if so, can you recommend a primer?

Old 06-11-15, 08:31 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Answer from Huber

I just called Huber technical support, and they said that with the Zip-System tape being an acrylic, pressure is what activates the bond, so no primer is necessary when using their tape to seal joints in regular OSB or plywood panels, although pressure (J-roller, Zip-gun, etc., is required). I also asked about cleaning the OSB first, and they said a good broom-cleaning should be sufficient.

Nevertheless, if anyone has other input based on your experience using Zip-System tape to seal seams in regular OSB roof decking, please comment. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: