Run off from street flooding basement

Old 06-13-15, 04:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Run off from street flooding basement

Hello everyone, I'm back with a new problem. During heavy rainfalls I noticed my basements been leaking and I couldn't figure out why. While walking in my backyard last night I noticed the ground was all soggy and peeked over the fence to the road side and saw the water was pooling up right there from the run off from up the hill. It seems the erosion is taking place along my property line and also starting to effect the street a bit. Is this something I should take care of and if so, how? Or is it something the town should be responsible for?
The video just shows the path the water is taking and right to my little house. Also it might be worth mentioning, I have those gullies in front of my house to take care of the water, so if I can somehow make the water go from down the hill to the gully up front that'd be great.
Thanks
Edit: also my property starts at the peak of that dirt hill, if that makes any difference.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqXFOF8pvg

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-15, 05:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It would definitely be a positive effort to contact the city/county to have the problem rectified. Of course they will say only the water from the grassy area is entering your house, but it definitely is exacerbated by runoff from the pavement. There should be a ditch running along side of the roadway to take care of the runoff.

Old 06-13-15, 06:03 AM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
In most cases the ditch area isn't your property so it becomes difficult for you to do repairs.

My question would be, which came first. If the road was there when the house was built, then it would have been the responsibility of the builder to resolve the drainage across that property. If the house is relatively new there should be plans on file as to what was supposed to be there.

Bud

Old 06-13-15, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can only imagine that the road was there first but definitely repaved recently and a lot of crusher run left behind on the border if the property and the house was built in 1952 I believe.
I already made efforts last night to contact the town with an email last night and probably won't hear back until Monday, either for an answer or a heads up in the right direction.
But for now I'll have to keep an eye on it and maybe dig some sort of trench to try and force it away...