Leak in bedroom wall

Old 06-17-15, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak in bedroom wall

Hello!
So we discovered a leak in our bedroom about a week ago. We bought the home 2 years ago and it looks like they just slapped a wall onto the existing patio incorrectly. There is some flashing on the exterior and it's sealed with caulking, but it doesn't seem to be holding up.

Please see photos.

Name:  20150617_123304.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  38.9 KB
Name:  20150617_123437.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  44.5 KB
Name:  20150617_123449.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  42.0 KB
Name:  20150617_123330.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  43.8 KB

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-15, 12:23 PM
Ohh also, we are fixing our gutters and I was thinking about raising the concrete grade?

Old 12-04-15, 08:43 AM
Hey DIYers, I've called numerous people and nobody has a clue on how to fix this! Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking ripping off that old flashing, adding a membrane and then applying new flashing with sealant. Would that help? I'd love to get this fixed before I have to replace the wood from it rotting out.

Thanks!

Old 12-04-15, 09:10 AM
That's some time between posts, don't know how first one got overlooked.
Hold on for some better advice. I would say the patio was poured at an incorrect height, it might have to come out. Walls/foundation should generally be 6" or more above grade.

Old 12-04-15, 01:26 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Must have been stuck in moderation - lots of pictures and new member.

Gutters, gutters, gutters first. Obviously pooling of water in that back corner. Caulking alone isn't going to hold back a small pond of water. Take a picture from further back so we can see the roofline in the picture. Is the concrete sloped toward the house or away? Is the landscape grading toward the house or away. I would do some grading to take the pond away from the house and into the yard somewhere.

Old 12-04-15, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
I have had to try to fix similar bungled situations by others... what I have done is snapped a chalk line on the concrete... a minimum of 1 1/2 " away from the siding. The using a diamond blade in a skilsaw, cut a kerf in the concrete. The kerf will accept a new flashing, which can then be caulked to the concrete. The concrete needs to be clean and dry before caulking it (obviously) and the type of caulk you use is critical. A polyurethane joint sealant, like what you would use to caulk concrete joints is what should be used there. The details at the inside corner will be the most difficult to seal. You will probably also need a grinder to extend the kerf into the corner. If you can't get it into the very corner, just notch the flashing a little.

It will obviously need to be a custom flashing. Lead sheet is the easiest to work with since you can bend it by hand and solder the corners if desired.

Imo the membrane you suggest will not work as it won't seal to the concrete well. To properly adhere a membrane you would need to use a compatability primer on the concrete... a thick sticky primer that would make the membrane adhere to it like contact cement. I doubt you have the skill or the materials to do that. Just my Opinion.

And raising the grade is probably a bad idea. If anything the rest of the grade needs to be lowered. Which brings up another idea... rather than cutting a kerf... saw off the concrete and lower the grade... pouring a new pad that is several inches lower.

Old 12-08-15, 01:05 PM
Thanks so much! You guys are literally the best! I am adding a french drain and cutting the concrete out to lower it so it wont puddle up against the edge.

Also having the flashing professionally redone! Hopefully I wont have to mess with it for many years to come.

Thanks again DIYers
-Austin