Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Adding rain disperser to 2nd floor roof above 1st floor addition roof

Old 06-19-15, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a single story addition on the back of a second story house. I now have to climb on the addition roof to clean out the gutters; as I get older I prefer to stay closer to the ground. I'm thinking of using a rain disperser (like rainhandler) on the second story to send the rain to the addition roof (without being in one concentrated sheet), and from that roof to gutters. Has anybody tried anything like this or know why it would, or wouldn't, work?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-15, 08:21 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
Why not just have gutter guards installed or have gutters installed that have them built in?

Old 06-20-15, 05:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I believe, even with a dispersing type addition, the fall of water from the roof above could have adverse affects on your addition's roof. Having a quality gutter helmet installed will not only keep crud from entering the gutters, but will allow water to safely move to downspouts off that roof. If the downspout doesn't have a clear fall to the ground at that point, make sure it doesn't dump directly onto the shingles on the addition. Have an extension installed that takes it to the gutters on the addition.

Old 06-20-15, 07:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews of the various gutter covers, so I thought the disperser might work to avoid excess wear and tear on lower roof. If I go with the gutter guard, are there any brands to avoid? Or any that work really well without routing maintenance?