Replace or Repair Gutters?

Old 06-24-15, 06:38 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Replace or Repair Gutters?

I'm going to be getting the exterior of my house painted in the near future and a few of the fascia boards will need to be replaced. Therefore, the gutters will need to be removed to do so. I'm contemplating whether to have the gutters replaced or just have them re-installed. The gutters are original to the house (32 years old), but appear to be in pretty good shape. The main issue is the fasteners are pulling away from the fascia boards, but I figure I could just replace the fasteners with larger diameter ones (if that's even possible) to get a better bite in the wood. Is there any reason why I should replace the gutters as opposed to fixing them? Do they make a screw-type fastener that holds better as opposed to the nail-type that works itself loose over time?

I have the middle style fastener (spike/ferrule) and most of them have pulled loose. Hammering them back in has not worked (they continue to pull loose), so I'd like to use a screw-type if one exists. Or I suppose I could use a different style fastener (e.g. concealed) and just leave the old fasteners in place.

Name:  Gutter.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 06-24-15, 06:51 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Not that I would typically suggest replacing eave troughs just because they're 30 years old, but, as long as they're coming down anyway, no doubt in my mind that I would replace them with seamless.

Old 06-24-15, 07:15 AM
M
My existing gutters appear to be seamless

Old 06-24-15, 07:19 AM
M
Another concern is the old gutters being put back on correctly. I would expect any good painting company to know how to put a gutter back, but they likely won't take the care to slope everything properly.

Old 06-25-15, 12:48 PM
M
So do you guys think I should be able to trust that the painters will put the gutters back properly, or should I just have them replace and paint the damaged fascia boards, leave the gutters off, and have new gutters installed by another contractor? I don't want to spend an awful lot of money on new gutters since there really isn't anything structurally wrong with the existing ones. I do however, want the water to drain properly (obviously). I have no idea how much new gutters cost.

Old 06-25-15, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
New gutters won't be much more than $7 lin ft. If they charge more than that, find someone else. I Have a guy that will do them for $3.50, which is dirt cheap.

IMO it all depends on whether or not they get them down in one piece and what kind of shape they are in. I'm not one to throw something away if it's still good or if you can make it work. (if you can reinstall them and they don't leak)

If the painters know you intend to reuse them (make that clear from the start) they will be much more careful about removing them. If you don't make it clear, they will kick them off with their foot and say "oh well, time for new gutters!".

Old 06-30-15, 04:21 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The fastener you are looking for is called a "hidden hanger" in my part of the country......they are a much better sytem. Spike and ferrules (which is what you have now) are not used anymore.

I would trust the painters to paint, but have a reputable gutter company handle the reinstallation. The painting subcontractor should credit you the cost of their expected labor that could be applied to the new gutter work

Old 07-02-15, 01:36 PM
M
Thanks guys. I've decided to keep the existing gutters. They've painted half of them already and they look great.

Old 07-03-15, 09:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
They have long screws that can replace the spikes, I have used them many times.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: