Window Well Filling w/ Water

Old 06-30-15, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Window Well Filling w/ Water

So we had a flood watch in effect the other day, and with all the rain our basement window well was filling with water and eventually cam through the window. Luckily we were downstairs when it happened... anyway, I sought out to dig a bit and see if I could locate a drain, but there doesn't appear to be one (see attached picture).

Did I go deep enough to be able to find one if it were there? Also, I dug out a lot of dirt, and about a 5 gallon bucket full of rock. Should I replace the dirt/rock, or just replace what I dug out with all rock?? Supposed to rain the next couple of days and don't want a repeat! Thanks!

Name:  0630151114.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  48.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-15, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 283 Votes on 259 Posts
Yeah you can dig the muck out of the bottom, because if it's silty soil water can't seep away fast enough. If there is no drain, replacing it with sand is best. You can also caulk the interior sides of the metal window well, which will help if water along the house wants to spill in from the sides. Make sure the grade outside the window well is low enough that water isn't going to run in from the rocks.

You can also get plastic window well covers to keep out most of the rain.

Then finally, if there is a gutter above this window well, make sure the gutter is clean and that the downspout is not plugged. Had one woman call me once and I go there during a downpour and her gutter is overflowing and spilling RIGHT INTO the window well. I thought to myself, "well, no wonder!"

Old 07-04-15, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fun, huh ? there's no drain that i see either - looks like the bldr forgot something window well cover, good positive drainage away from the house - worst case, sump & pump