Window Well : what should I do?

Old 06-30-15, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Window Well : what should I do?

Hi!

I am the owner of a house since 2001. The house was note very well maintained while I was married. Now that my husband left, there is a lot of work to do on it and I keep finding many hidden defects and not so hidden defects!

I found another important defect today and the reason I am writing a post is to see if someone would have a genius idea to get around the problem because I am all by myself to do the job and have no money to hire or rent equipment.

Here is the problem: two years ago, the paving stone had to be moved for some work and replaced. The contractor left without finishing the paving under the basement window saying that because I was about to change the window, it will be easier for the installer if the paving was unfinished.

Of course, the contractor never came back and it is been like that for 2 years. I am a self-learner and very resourceful so today, I decided to finish the job myself.

While preparing the ground, I realized that the paving stone would be 1 or 2 inches higher than the window border!
Name:  MargelleEng.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  50.4 KB

What should I do? I read on the subject and understand that the best thing would be to build a window well, but I am all by myself to do this work and out of money so I can't afford to pay someone to do it or rent equipment to dig a whole.

Does anyone have a great idea or anyone can convince me that it is not such a big job to install the window well. Because what I figured is that I have to dig all the way to the French Drain? The ground is made of pretty hard clay.

I am opened to any suggestion!

Thanks to anyone who will answer my call for help!

Sourianne

Old 06-30-15, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 826 Posts
While the drain would be nice, I don't know that it's "absolutely" necessary. IMO the main thing is to keep the grade several inches below the window so that it does not rot, and so that if (and when) there is a puddle there, that it is below the window, and has some time to seep away into the ground. 1" is not enough, so I would suggest digging a little deeper, and adding sand or gravel to promote drainage.

You could make a perimeter out of landscaping blocks (kind of like this guy did), or you could buy a metal window well. With your other pavers, it would probably be easier and look better to make a raised perimeter of blocks.

If a drain were to be added, it would need to go under the existing pavers and lead away from the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: