Salt Box Shed Roof Trusses

Old 07-09-15, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Salt Box Shed Roof Trusses

I'm building a typical Salt Box Storage shed. It's 12 feet across and 10 feet deep.
I would like to build 8 roof trusses that provide a 1 foot overhang at the rear of the shed and a 2 foot overhang on the front of the shed. The peek will be off center toward the front of the shed. The Pitch should be 4/12 and the trusses will be 22.5 on center. I need a good graphic or drawing that provides the angles for the joints and lengths for the 2X4s. I will use a full length 2x4 from front to back on the bottom of the 2 angled 2x4s. I will use gussets at the joints. Can someone please help me with this??

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-15, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good afternoon,

If the building is 12 long with the trusses spanning the 10' width, then you only need 7 trusses (not 8). They should be spaced 24"o.c. The 22.5" spacing you mentioned is how far apart each truss is from each other, not the o.c. While this may sound like splitting hairs, an incorrect "on center spacing" will throw your roof sheathing out of line.

As for the overhangs, when you cut your rafters they should have a 10-1/2" overhang (or 22-1/2" on the front). This way when you install your 2x subfascia the total overhang is 12" and 24". Again this may seem minor but you will have less waste when cutting your soffit material. Admittedly this wouldn't make a huge impact on a building of this size, but can be very wasteful on a garage or home.

The rafter lengths depend on several design choices. Firstly, if you have the same sidewall height all around it would be different than if you had an 8' wall on the back vs a 7' wall on the front. Secondly the desired ceiling height wil affect your collar tie placement......

Most saltbox designs will have a 4/12 or 5/12 on one rafter, with the opposite end having something like a 12/12. It just depends on what looks pleasing to you.

I would suggest sketching some ideas on paper, layout one truss, then use that truss as a template for the rest.

Old 07-10-15, 06:14 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Roof Pitch

The peek will be off center toward the front of the shed. The Pitch should be 4/12 -
If peak is off-center, pitch cannot be 4/12 on both front and rear unless front wall is taller than rear wall.

Give us truss dimensions and we can help you with the cut angles.

Old 07-10-15, 06:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 140 Votes on 125 Posts
.... unless you are planing on a wider overhang on the front side.