New metal roof over shingles

Old 07-09-15, 04:26 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New metal roof over shingles

Hello People:
I have been working on a foreclosure I bought a few years ago. I have fixed the foundation, wired, rocked, and did all my plumbing (live in a rural area, no codes). The roof is out of plum, still good decking but the people who put it on how no idea how to frame the additions on, I have fixed that structurally (purlins/struts etc.). problem is the roof has some uneven spots where they added on. My question is this I would like to have a metal roof installed. Can they shim their 2x4s and make the roof plum before they lay their metal sheets. Secondly, about how much would this cost. Not a steep pitch, about 1,500 square foot home.
Thanks

Old 07-10-15, 04:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Yes the furring strips can be shimmed to straighten out dips. Cost all depends on where you are located, what roofing you choose and where you buy it. Call around and get some prices. If doing it yourself you can tell them how long you need the sheets and how much ridge so they can give you a more accurate price.

Old 07-10-15, 05:51 AM
P
In my part of the country I typically retail a basic 29ga panel around $70 per square (material only). Depending on the amount of accessories you need it may net approx $90-$100 when it's all said and done.

If you can afford it, a standing seam type product looks best on a home. It is much more labor intensive however, and costs 2 to 3 times the amount of a basic panel

Old 07-10-15, 07:37 AM
L
Are you going to live in it? I see you are from TX and know how hot it gets. I would see if there is enough money to place 1.5" of Styrofoam between perlings. I did this for my house in WNY and it lowered the attic temperature by 30ºF in the summer. It also saved on the heat loss in the winter. For me, the pay back was in 6 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: