New Roof - Is this a Good Bid?

Old 07-10-15, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Roof - Is this a Good Bid?

Hello all,

I have a 900 square foot home (very small) in Kansas City. It's two stories. So its footprint is about 450-500 square feet. Roof pitch is typical for the midwest. I don't know the figure; it's certainly not flat, but it's not as steep as, say, a victorian roof.

Anyway, I have 2-3 layers of old asphalt shingles to tear off. Underneath that I have wood skip sheathing with surprisingly small gaps in between the boards: about 1/4 inch. I have 2 dormers to work around as well as a chimney.

I received a bid for $4,900 which includes laying new OSB over the skip. I realize that more information might be ideal, but based on this info, does this price strike the knowledgeable folks here as fairly reasonable? Also, do you all agree that laying OSB over the skip boards is really needed given the narrowness of the gaps?

Thanks a lot for any feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-15, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
Without knowing the exact area of the roof its hard to say, but let's say its a 7 sq roof. That's roughly $700 sq. So let's break it down... of that figure, Shingles will be $100/sq. OSB will be roughly $30/sq. Metal edging, maybe $100. Synthetic felt, around $100. Ice and water shield, around $200, dumpster, around $300. That leaves what... around $3300 (or $450/sq) for all the labor (tearoff, sheathing, shingling)? Tearing off 3 layers won't be much fun... so I think it's pretty reasonable.

I don't think many guys would want to warranty a roof without the OSB. The gaps just create the risk of putting a lot of nails into voids... or blowing holes in the shingles as a result of hitting the voids. (you cant see the voids anymore once you lay the felt paper and shingles)

Old 07-10-15, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
xsleeper, thanks! Very helpful. Anyone else?

Old 07-10-15, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
How do the other bids look?

Best is always to get three or more so you can compare.