Questions about ongoing roof install

Old 07-10-15, 06:53 PM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about ongoing roof install

We wrapped up day 2 of our roof install and noticed a few things that didn't look quite right, but it could be they still have work to do in those areas. We're going to ask the foreman about these things tomorrow, but we wanted to post a few questions here to educate ourselves. The pics can be found at the URL noted at the end of this post:

1. In a couple of the pics, several shingles appear to be buckling. When we were researching roofing material, we seem to recall reading something about how the heat needs to "set" the shingles. Should we be concerned at this point?

2. There's one pic that shows the peak and what we assume is the part that must lie under the ridge cap shingles. Should there be a gap between the two pieces shown?

3. There's one pic that shows a "weave" in the valley. In another area of the house, they did it much differently. In the other area, it looks they snapped a line and cut back part of the shingle on either side to create what looks like roughly a 3" wide channel going down the valley. Do you think they just haven't gotten to that step yet in the pic shown? It's too dark now, but I'll get a pic of that other area posted tomorrow morning.

4. When the roof was originally put on, the corners of the dormers were literally sitting on top of the shingles. This was pointed out to us by the company putting on the roof. They said they'd cut them back as needed for the new roof. As you can see now, it appears they cut back too much and left what looks like a 1" gap between the roof and that piece of plastic. What should be done to correct this?

ROOF by hikerguy1 | Photobucket

Thanks,

Andy

Old 07-10-15, 07:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,318 Likes on 2,981 Posts
I'm not the pro in this forum and I'm not a carpenter but that roof just doesn't look right.
Is this directly down on sheathing or is it over an old roof or two ?

Name:  P1060544_zpsny5ccicm.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  38.7 KB

Old 07-11-15, 05:59 AM
H
They ripped off the old roof. They pressed that piece down this morning and it went flat, but there are several areas like that. Just not sure if it will level out over time.

Old 07-11-15, 06:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Generally any errant shingles will lay down once the heat gets to them. Those aren't too much to worry about. My worry would be the gutter dumping water uphill in the last picture. I know it isn't a "roofer" problem, but it will cause leaks eventually. Something just isn't right about that valley. Maybe they haven't trimmed it up yet, but it seems there may not be any metal flashing under it, which can cause leaks as well. The picture with the corner trim short is a siding problem, not a roofer's problem, either, if that is what you are concerned about. At least they flashed the dormer
I am just not sure what I am looking at in the first picture.

Old 07-11-15, 06:49 AM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
Shingles never should be laid over the peak like that while still in the package.
It can crack the shingles and may be why some are not laying flat right away.
That 1" gap is ugly but will not hurt anything, if it was tight to the roof water would get trapped.
Even the J molding was not suppost to have been installed that close to the shingles, should have been about a 1" gap.
Yes that ridge vent should be flat across the top of it, in fact any I've used are made to interlock so there is no gap and sit level.
Hard to see what's going on with that valley with the trash laying in it and at that angle.

Old 07-11-15, 06:23 PM
H
Chandler,

Thanks for the info. Now that they've completed the work, the valley looks much better. It turns out they cut the channel after they get the rest of the roof done. I can post some pics tomorrow to show you.

The corners of the dormers were trimmed by the roofing company (as all the corners of the dormer were literally nearly touching the shingles).

That first pick is the peak of the garage roof. Is some type of plastic they put up before putting on the ridge cap shingles. We talked with the foreman today and he said they leave a little gap to allow for expansion and contraction.

Joecaption,

I had wondered about that. I'm guessing they did it that way as there was nowhere else to put them without worrying about them sliding off the roof.

I wasn't aware J molding should have a space between it and the shingles. Good to know if we ever buy another house with dormers. Thanks for your input.

Andy

Old 07-11-15, 08:11 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
On a steep roof a real roofer would have used roof jacks and 2X's and layed them flat to keep the shingles from sliding down the roof.
All manufactures have warnings about laying them over the peak like that.
Glad it all worked out.

Old 07-12-15, 03:08 PM
H
That's good info joe. I wasn't aware that manufacturers warn against that. It makes sense to me. Thanks for passing this along.

Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: