Mobile home roof leak issues?

Old 07-17-15, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mobile home roof leak issues?

I wasn't sure where to post this. I recently moved into an old mobile home (1971) and the roof leaks. It has apparently leaked long enough, the ceilings are discolored, the floors sag toward the outside of the home, and in some spots, it stinks like rot.

I know my way around most power tools, and around most stick built construction, but have no clue as to how a mobile home is put together. If anyone could point me toward a tutorial so I can get a handle on my issues, it would be greatly appreciated! I tried YouTube, but most videos there were more annoying than helpful.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-15, 11:44 AM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
Anyway to back out of this deal.
Going to be fighting a loosing battle.
Metal or shingled roof?
They make moble homes as cheap as possible.
Not uncommon to see 2 X 2 trusses, wall studs, 2" of insulation in the walls, 3/8 plywood on the roof.
Partical board floors that turn to oatmeal when they get wet.

Old 07-17-15, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You've moved into it . . . . does that mean you bought it ?

1976 is a key year for Mobiles because in was in 1976 that industry standards were adopted to standardized 2x6 Studs and standard residential doors, windows, appliances and bathroom fixtures.

1976 is about the earliest date for which you can be considered for financing these units. Some Lenders will consider them for portfolio loans; especially if they know you're going to be replacing the unit with a newer unit . . . . or better yet, a stick-built house. Not to confuse you further; but 1978 is the date that Leaded Paint ceased to be sold or used . . . . so many Lenders like to lump the two together and say they won't consider any loans on a Mobile Home older than 1978. They are two separate issues.

As a Real Estate Broker, I've sold (or attempted to sell) plenty of Trailers, Tubes, Tin Cans, or whatever you might want to call them; with land and with out, in Parks or on their own Sites. For the past 10 years or so, most of my sales have been for the purpose of someone using the land and site improvements (driveway, transformer, water, septic, and landscaping) for the purpose of building a new home on the land which might be perfectly good . . . . except for what sits on it.

I hope yours is a candidate for one of those projects, and not a money sponge, from which you'll never get a return; so be careful how much labor and money you plow into it.

Old 07-17-15, 01:45 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Having done home repairs as a pro I can tell you 99% chance it has particle board floors and with roof leaks they have all swollen like sponges and lost whatever strength they had. After doing a few small patch jobs on particle board floored mobile homes I stopped even accepting those jobs. It was just impossible to do a good job for a reasonable amount of labor.and worse when you got to stripping back to do the repair you found there was no good stopping point.

You will find some weird things in those old MH like the carpet was installed before the interior walls. So remove the carpet to replace the floor and there will be a strip of carpet left under the wall.

Electric was done to DOT for travel trailers not NEC for homes and I doubt in many case met even DOT. I have seen MHs where there are no boxes for receptacles. Just a hole in the wall and the receptacle screwed to paneling that is only an eighth inch thick. Fuse boxes (yes fuse not breaker) under a shelf at the back of a kitchen cabinet.

At least if it is that old it may be copper water pipes not the later Polybutylene that broke if you looked at it wrong. You won't often though find cut off valves or even supply lines at sinks. They'd just one the line all the way to the faucet.

Old 07-17-15, 03:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
More than likely the floor is 5/8" particle board. You'd want to cut out all the bad and replace with 5/8" plywood or OSB. Sometimes it's beneficial to add 2xs to the floor framing [it's probably 2x6s] so you can better nail the patch pieces.

The ceiling is probably cellotex, if it's still solid an oil base primer will seal the water stains [they will come thru latex primer/paint] if it's really bad - use a pigmented shellac like Zinnser's BIN. By all means fix the leaks first!! The ceiling trusses are generally made from 1x2s laid flat with scrap pieces of paneling for the gussets.

btw - welcome to the forums!