How To Lower Roofing Estimate

Old 07-17-15, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How To Lower Roofing Estimate

I have received several bids on my roof with varying prices, materials and labor.

For those that have done it, did you save a considerable amount by buying all the materials yourself?

Did you have a hard time finding a roofer that would use the materials you bought?

Did they try to gouge you on the labor since they didn't have materials to mark up in cost?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-15, 12:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have never been able to match the cost of materials that a roofer can get. Sometimes they get discounts, sometimes (like at box stores) they don't. You won't save any unless they are quoting large prices for the shingles. Don't forget they have to buy felt, nails, flashing, boots, drip edges, so add that in your materials cost.

You know what shingles cost, so how does it compare to each bid. Did they break down all the materials?

Be aware, too, good roofers will extend a warranty with their work. You buy cheap shingles, versus the quality they would provide and warrant, I would not be surprised that they would pull any warranty or not do the job because of it.

Then you have to load them, transport them and unload them at the site. Major PITA, which they do for you.