Valley end is nailed under stucco

Old 07-18-15, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Valley end is nailed under stucco

Hi,

I have a cement tile roof with a poorly installed valley that clogged and I need to put new felt under and around valley.

The valley is now loose but the end against a 2nd story wall seems to be nailed under the stucco. I can't detach it w/o cutting it and the lead flashing seems to done the same way.

It's only about 6' long and I can lift it up so I think I could easily slide the new felt under it. Is this acceptable?

Also, I immediately see why the valley clogged. The battens did not extend into the valley so the cement tiles just fell into the valley. I did a fair amount of research on valleys for cement roofs and the best approach seems to be the plastic batten extenders. Allows a lip on the edges of the valley, hold the tiles above the valley and allows debris to get through.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-15, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Can you post pictures so we can follow your project? We can't see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 07-19-15, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First picture is overall view, second is end at 2nd story wall. The valley is bent up and goes under the cap that attached to bottom edge of stucco so I assume it's under stucco and probably nailed to OSB sheathing. Same with the lead flashing.

I need to paint the house and do some minor stucco repairs this year but I don't know if there is a good reason to remove the valley from the house in one piece. If necessary I suppose I could cut it off as close to the house as possible and then re-install by nailing it as close to the house as possible.

Also, this raises another question. There are a couple areas with cracks in the lead flashing but again the flashing appears to be nailed to house sheathing. Perhaps for minor cracks a piece can be glued as a patch over the crack?

Thanks again

Name:  valley.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  50.4 KBName:  valley2.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  38.7 KB