Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

What if roofer used 5 nails per shingle instead or six for 130 mph warranty

Old 07-31-15, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Today I had my roof tore off and new GAF Timberline HD shingles put on. In general, the crew was very industrious, and I believe they did an excellent job. The company is very reputable, etc. However, the last hour or so at dusk I was listening to the pneumatic nail pattern, and I am very confident they only used five nails per shingle, instead of the required six, for the GAF upgrade to 130 MPH warranty protection. So... my question is, is there anything that can be done now to correct that? I hate to make an issue of this, but also don't want to have a problem with the warranty in the future. Is there any way this problem could be fixed? It seems improbable and that it might damage the shingles if they were pulled up to fasten another nail into some of them. Should I just be thankful I have a new roof and let it go, or is there any reasonable fix for this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-15, 07:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I am a naildriver, not a roofer, but in my opinion you have a good roof that can only be damaged by pulling up the shingles to put one more nail in. Where would they put it, since the other 5 are probably equidistant. In all reality, the 130 MPH warranty may be futile if the walls cave in or the entire house is damaged by such a wind. Not many survive totally, anyway.

However, it is you roof. You can ask GAF what their thoughts are on it.

Old 07-31-15, 07:53 PM
Thanks Chandler

Thanks Chandler - that's sort of what I thought, I'm not a roofer either, but I can't imagine pulling up the shingles after first installed would be a good idea. It's just unfortunate that this happened, as the GAF warranty is clear that the upgrade is only good if six nails per shingle were used. I think the company and crew generally did an excellent job... but I think the crew wanted to finish today and therefore the risk falls on the buyer...

You're probably right that a 130 MPH wind would cause more structural damage than just blown off shingles. Because the sheathing is just 7/16 inch OSB, and who knows what the nailing pattern is on it, and we can be pretty sure ring-shank nails weren't used, it's likely negative pressure would cause some of the sheathing itself to blow off in a 130 MPH wind, among other things.

I may ask the company if they will document that only five nails were used in some of the shingles, and if so, whether they would warrant against blow-offs for the life of the shingles, since GAF would not. It was, after all, in the contract. I'm not the kind of person who would dispute or withhold any payment, but since six nails per shingle does after all help the shingles resist blow-off in high winds, which is why they risk warrantying if 6 nails are used, I do think it would be fair if the company itself provided such warranty. I realize neither they nor I will likely be around in 30-50 years, but what can you do...

Anyway, thanks for your always excellent and timely input! Very helpful.

Old 07-31-15, 08:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
When I had our roof done, I was as work and wifey would listen for all the nail hits from the gun, in rhythm. She told me they did a good job. She had read the installation instructions and told the roofing foreman what she expected. Not sure whether he saluted her or not

Old 07-31-15, 08:17 PM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
I'm not a roofer either, but have done a few. I checked the mfg nailing pattern and they have a standard 4 nail pattern as well as the 6 nail enhanced pattern. They mention it is required for the added warranty and by some code locations.

Now, I'm a pain when it comes to contractors cutting corners. Since you paid for the 6 nail option and they were aware of that, then the roof (unless there is another option) must be replaced. You should have in hand the certificate of insurance from that company so you would be dealing with them. If you can see the nails coming through the roof from the attic side to confirm they installed 5 per shingle all the way up then there would be no replacing just the last hours work. Plus the underlayment would need to be replaced.

Speak to the owner of the company, because he probably was not the one doing the nailing, maybe, maybe not. At the least, they should offer you a very large cash compensation. If the boss is upset, s/he should be upset at the person behind the nail gun.

You said big and reputable, when things go wrong, that is when you find out how reputable they really are. For that company, better to learn now than be sued over and over.

Bud

Old 07-31-15, 08:53 PM
Got to agree with Bud. Some contact should be made with the owner of the business, and the sooner the better.

I'm no roofer or lawyer, but if the warranty states 6 nails per shingle are required, they will stick to that more than likely and your warranty is void.

Chandler brings up a good point as to where the additional nail would go? This might be a case of demanding the entire roof be redone.

Old 08-01-15, 06:49 PM
Received 27 Votes on 23 Posts
Where in VA has there ever been 130 MPH winds?
Been through 2, hurracane's and one tornato.s never lost one shingle.
Got bigger fish to fry if the winds that high.

Old 08-02-15, 07:17 PM
Check a few randomly or have someone - like an inspector - do it for you. Especially where they were working when you heard it. You paid for it and a wrong nail pattern might void any aspect of the warranty. If the whole job needs to come off and be redone, so be it.

I've heard enough stories like this that next time I'm taking a few days off and getting a beer, a lawnchair, and some binoculars and installing myself in the driveway for the duration. A friend of mine did that and caught them installing his $40,000 steel roof wrong.