Replacing my roof!!

Old 04-10-01, 03:13 PM
Fishguard_Boy
Visiting Guest
Question

Anyone got a good web site I can consult on the cost of replacing my roof?

I know the main part of my house will need to be re-roofed. But I'm getting conflicting advice as to whether I need to install a ridge vent and soffit vents to supplement/replace my gable (?) vents. I was told I could just install bigger gable vents to avoid the expense/hassle of installing ridge and soffit vents. But another roofer wants to install the ridge vent and soffet vents. I'd like to be cost efficient here, so anyone got any advice on which path to take with this?

Thanks,
FB

Old 04-11-01, 11:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You are at the site that can help you. Maybe more help then you wanted. Need to have some questions answered first. What size roof ? What type of roof ? (hip, gambrel etc) how high are your eves from the ground ? What is your roof pitch ? what part of the country do you live in ? What type of roofing materials are you going to use ? Get back to us and we will help you.

Old 04-11-01, 12:18 PM
Fishguard_Boy
Visiting Guest
Jack:

Not sure about the size of the roof, but the second floor is about 1,000 sq ft.

It's a regular colonial roof, not gambrel or hip -- the attic is a crawl space, basically.

Eves in the back of the house are three stories up (walkout basement) and two stories up in front.

Roof pitch is fairly shallow (right word?) though I don't have the exact figure here with me.

I live in New England.

Asphalt is probably what we're going to use.

Thanks a lot.

FB

Old 04-11-01, 12:23 PM
Fishguard_Boy
Visiting Guest
Roof pitch is probably 4 or 5 in 12.

Old 04-11-01, 01:20 PM
Visiting Guest
My website has some roofing basics in the DIY section. http://www.morethanacarpenter.bigste...68&PRID=178859 is information on vents.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: