Rooftop Deck Modification

Old 08-10-15, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rooftop Deck Modification

I've got a home with a large rooftop deck that I'm trying to turn into a comfortable outdoor living space, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I can build on it. I'd like to tile it, build a grill island, and a few other structures, but I don't want to damage what seems like the main waterproofing layer for most of the roof. My neighbor's construction is similar, and he's owned his for much longer and has tentatively identified the surface as Parex Mer-Ko Shur Deck elastomeric coating. I'm not sure what the substrate is below it, but my best guess is plywood, possibly with a few other emulsion layers and some engineered fabrics in there. My neighbor says I should be able to tile over the top of it as long as I lay down a backer board first, but I can't think of how I'd attach a backer board (or secure any other structures I'd want to build) without breaking the surface of the coating. Does anybody have any experience working with this, and can you advise on how to go about doing what I want with it without making my roof leak?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-15, 04:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It always helps us to see what you see, so if you can, post a few pictures. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Just a word of caution, you do not want to infiltrate the waterproof membrane you have presently. Applying CBU will cause you to put a kazillion holes in it. One way would be to build flat pallets and have them interlock across the space. If you take the time, you can cover each pallet with Advantech and then cbu, then tile. They will be heavy, but movable should you ever need to do maintenance.

Old 08-10-15, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay, thanks. What about if I want to build structures on it? I'd like to do a grill island, a pergola sort of structure, and eventually some built-in lounge seating...

Old 08-10-15, 04:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You will really need to get into the basic roof structure members and find out what their measurements are as well as their unsupported span below and their size. Are they LVL, dimension lumber, trusses, etc.?? You can't add too much weight on an area really not meant for such weight in the beginning.