Blowing leaves off a flat roof

Old 08-14-15, 06:44 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Blowing leaves off a flat roof

I have a flat asphalt roof where several trees overhang and drop leaves, pods and seeds. I go up and use a blower to blow them off.

BEFORE

AFTER

When the roofers installed the roof, the very last thing they did was to drop these "granules" that I think are basically sand right? When I finished blowing the roof clean, I went down and noticed the concrete walkway was full of leaves (expected) and sand (unexpected).

Am I hurting the roof by blowing the sand granules off it?

Old 08-14-15, 07:59 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The "sand" or sometimes rocks, on the roof are to protect the asphalt from degradation from the sunlight. It is normal for smaller pieces to break or otherwise become detached as part of normal wear and tear (and also from walking on the roof) but if you are experiencing a significant loss of granules then the application was incorrect.

Old 08-15-15, 05:10 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I mean the shedding of the granules is caused by my using the blower on the roof. Am I causing it to shed more then it would have?

Old 08-15-15, 11:54 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The granules are supposed to be embedded in the asphalt, not loose. I suggest that you ask the roofing company about your problem.

Old 08-20-15, 02:57 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blowing off leaves should definitely have no impact on the granules. Just as they should withstand the kinds of strong winds you have in your area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: