Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Concrete patio pools some water against my house/raised ranch basement. sealant?

Concrete patio pools some water against my house/raised ranch basement. sealant?

Old 08-15-15, 10:10 AM

hello fiends,

My backyard, concrete patio has a crack in it that has caused the concrete against where my raised ranch basement meets slightly slope downward towards the seam against my basement wall. I don't have any serious moisture issues in my basement that my dehumidifier doesn't fix, but I want to keep it that way.

Would a silicone sealant of some kind help keep the little bit of water that collects against my house from absorbing down against my basement wall? Are there any other easier methods to remedy this save for redoing my concrete or lifting the sloped area? Methane you very very much.

Ive got some cracks I was thinking of getting a tube for to seal it up and got to wondering if I should get a sealant where the house meets the concrete too. Thank you!

Imgur
Imgur

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-15, 01:35 AM
well, lessee, if you seal that 'cove' area (where wall meets floor/patio/flat area) w/right stuff, that would prevent wtr from penetrating the crk, right ? wouldn't it ? then do it ! ! ! !

i'd use sika's NP 1-NS instead of silicone altho you'll probably shop in the apron/vest store & they carry 100% silicone,,, 'tool' it properly according to directions on the product's w/site

pro mtls, tools, skill, knowledge, experience, common sense generally = pro results

Old 08-17-15, 05:30 PM
The more directly and more frequently sealant is attacked by substantial amounts of water, the earlier it fails. That doesn't meant it won't work, but you will need to monitor and patch and replace as needed. It is a cheaper but higher maintenance way to attack it than getting a proper slope away from the wall. But standard silicone would probably not be best for this type of application, as mentioned above. SIKA, QUAD, and NP make heavy duty construction sealants that will stand up longer. For cracks deeper than recommended in the instructions for whatever you use, use foam backer rod first.