Removing swamp coolers with new flat roof instal

Old 08-16-15, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing swamp coolers with new flat roof instal

I am within a couple years (at most) of needing to address my flat roof and I have old swamp coolers up there that I never use (central air was added many years ago and I doubt the previous owners used the evaporative coolers much once those were in). My question is to have those removed, do I need an hvac guy to seal off the duct work prior to a new roof or would you trust the roofers to do this. Haven't seen a clear answer on this with internet searches.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-15, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'd go with HVAC who is familiar with swampers. Most can probably do both. All you have to do is ask them. Check around with people you know and ask for recommendations. It will likely be a smaller company. If they are big whole house units, be prepared for them to need a small crane to lift them off (as opposed to dumping them off the roof) and don't let them haul them off if in good condition, at least not without some $$$ consideration. They can be rebuilt pretty cheaply and are still popular in some areas. They would probably take them back to the shop and re-use them. All depending on condition like I said.

You definitely want the ducts closed off, preferably at both ends I would think.

That's what I would do anyway.