Downspout protection that doesn't restrict flow?

Old 08-23-15, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Downspout protection that doesn't restrict flow?

After researching about every gutter guard there is, I've decided they all have too many compromises to make them worthwhile. So, I'm looking for ways to just protect the downspout from clogging in-between gutter cleanings.

I have tried the typical downspout strainers. They work, sort of, but the strainers themselves can restrict the flow to the point that they defeat their own purpose.

I'm experimenting with Gutter Brush over the downspouts. I have seen YouTube videos where Gutter Brush can restrict the water flow, but that was with the brush installed the entire length of the gutter. I have them installed the last 1 to 1.5' of the gutter. I'm hoping this keeps the downspout clean, but won't slow down the flow as much as the cumulative affect of having it along the entire gutter.

So far that seems promising, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any suggestions in this area.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-15, 01:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
I've been working on my gutters too. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ro...rotectors.html

I've tried several different of those downspout protectors/screens and although they keep the downspout from clogging down below they themselves clog and need to be cleaned often.