Did my roofer screw up?

Old 08-31-15, 07:36 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Did my roofer screw up?

My gutter guards aren't letting enough water through, and I don't know whether the roofer screwed up. When it rains, a lot of water flows over the gutter guards and over the sides of the gutters. Pictures are below.

I bought the house last year and the gutter guards were already installed. Soon after buying the house, I hired a roofer to replace the roof. So the gutter guards are old and the roof is new. Unfortunately I don't know how well the gutter/guard system was working before the roof replacement.

As you can see in the pictures, the bottom row of shingles covers up about 1/2 of the gutter guard. But only about 2/3 of the gutter guard is over the gutter anyway.

So, should I complain to the roofer? Do they need to trim back the shingles? Would that solve the problem? Or do I need a completely different kind of gutter or guard?

Name:  FrontView.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  50.3 KBName:  SideView.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  39.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-15, 07:50 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The pros will have better advice, but even without gutter guards I think you'd have water shooting over the gutters on hard rains. That side view is telling. If you laid a ruler on the roof it wouldn't be anywhere near the gutter. Granted, that's the low end, but I think your shingles extend too far and your gutter is too low.

Old 08-31-15, 08:47 AM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
Shingles only needed to extend about an inch beyond the roof decking.
That style gutter guard was also suppost to be cut and bent 90 Deg's on the end to keep out birds.
Climb up there and see if the gutters are full of granual from the old roofing.
Run the hose into the down spouts to see if there working.
I see the fabric on the bottom side of the guard is coming off, one may have fallen and is plugging up the down spout.

Old 09-25-15, 12:21 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You really need to have some aluminum drip edge installed along that eave, and your shingles need to be trimmed back to about 1" past the outer edge of the metal drip edge.
This will give you a lot more exposed gutter.
Also, that gutter guard doesn't appear to be installed correctly.

4-1/2 in. x 1-1/4 in. x 10 ft. Black Aluminum Eave Drip Flashing-11250 - The Home Depot

I'm not a roofer by trade, but this seems to be standard practice around here.